Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP. My Toshiba Laptop Auto Fills and Has a Long Beep On Enter Password Startup  (Read 3774 times)

shawnymike

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi everyone,  I was hoping you geniuses can help me get my Toshiba Satellite C655-S5514, that's running Windows 7 Home Premium, up and running again.  I looked over the other forum topics but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I thought it would be better to ask directly. 

Here's my issue, This laptop has sat in my closet for about a year.  I haven't been using it since I also have a desk top.  Anyway, I pulled the laptop out today and plugged in the power cord, opened the screen and then hit the power button.  When I did, the screen showed the Toshiba logo screen and then immediately went to the black screen with the blue box that says Enter Password, BUT all of a sudden, the password box automatically filled up and then the laptop started a long, continuous beep.  Not a beep, beep, beep, etc., but just one long beep. 
    When I press the keyboard buttons, like the backspace or anything else, it doesn't do anything. Now, if I turn it off and then back on, it keeps doing the same thing EXCEPT, if I hold down any key and then turn on the laptop, the same screens will come up but the password window won't auto full and it doesn't beep.  Once I let go of the keyboard key I'm holding down, the password window will only auto fill 2 digits instead of filling up all the way and there's no beep at all on the times I try this. 
    If anyone can help me, I would forever be in your debt. 
    Thanks so much for reading my long post.
    Take care guys and gals.

Shawnymike

Salmon Trout

Sounds like you have a keyboard problem. Could be damaged or full of dust or debris, or have one or more stuck keys. It may need replacing. Consider a visit to a repair shop.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    It sounds like you may have a stuck key.  You may be able to visually inspect the keyboard and find the key that's stuck.  Often a sharp rap with your finger on the key is enough to free it.

If you are somewhat handy, a laptop keyboard is fairly easy to replace, usually only 2 screws and a small ribbon cable.  There's tutorials available to show you how to replace the keyboard. You should be able to buy a keyboard on Ebay for around $20 or so (slightly more if your keyboard is backlit).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    I'd also replace the CMOS battery....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "