Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can You Still Get Android Tethering  (Read 5015 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Can You Still Get Android Tethering
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:47:41 PM »
The wink is because this topic is on the edge.  ;)
I hope you understand what I intend. It is not unlawful, legal, but a workaround to some tricks being imposed by the big guys Like AT&T, Verizon and the others.

As you know, many top cell phone LTE services offer unlimited data . The data will slow down when thou go over a limit. So they sell for 30,  50 or  80 dollars a month. Depends on how much bandwidths you want.

Well,many cleaver users now tether an Android smartphone to the home network instead of getting a wired connection. In some places it still cost a lot of money to get a copper wire connection to your home. In some lo-class ghettos the local telecom people do not want to repair the old copper wires. So you have to go LTE.

Now here is the question. Can you still get good Android Tethering apps that will work.  (Tethering here means either a USB, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth link from a smartphone to a PC or tablet.The phone gets the 4G or 3G signal from a cell tower and makes it available to other devices in your house.) Some services have prevented the teething apps to work.

Read this:
If you have an Android smartphone, odds are that you pay your wireless carrier a hefty sum each month for data. While it seems fairly straight forward that if you pay for a certain number of bytes, you should be able to just use them, the carriers don’t usually see it that way. As such, last year the big US carriers started blocking users from downloading a number of popular tethering apps in the Android Market (now the Play Store).

Source:
http://www.tested.com/tech/android/3708-can-you-still-get-android-tethering-apps-in-the-google-play-store/

Presently I am using tethering when I need to download a large file. I get speeds up to about 20mbps over Wi-Fi tether. That is a lot faster that the e other way I get internet. (I piggy back on my neighbors Wi-Fi. But the sped is reduced due to low signal.) So the Android Teething apps are of interest to nee and many others who need very high speed transfers once in awhile.

The tether App I now use is horrible. I gets telling me I have to download another app that I do not want. But the terms of service do not require that. Reminds me of something else. Nagging a user to install an unwanted thing is now the fad.

There still are many such Apps on Google play. But the good  ones are being blocked by the big companies. So I am asking here, Do you know of some good Android Teething apps that can be found somehow, someway?

Any comments welcome.   ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can You Still Get Android Tethering
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
The answer is the same as the last time you brought up tethering. Dedicated apps are no longer needed on any semi-recent release of Android as the OS itself has included tethering capability for some time.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
The answer is the same as the last time you brought up tethering. Dedicated apps are no longer needed on any semi-recent release of Android as the OS itself has included tethering capability for some time.
Yes, it is there in my new smartphone with version 5.1 Android. When I check the box it says that there is some kind of network problem and the thing does not turn on. Bu a clever app can turn it on anyway. As the article I linked says, the LTE cellular companies are preventing users from making use of the Android features

Most of the references to Android teetering do not take into account this new policy of the monster cell phone carriers.  Two years ago FCC told Verizon to stop doing that, but they and others still make it hard, but not impossible.
http://www.cnet.com/news/what-verizons-fcc-tethering-settlement-means-to-you-faq/
From the 2012 article above:
So to be clear, if I have one of Verizon's older tiered plans, will I have to pay $30 for tethering?
You can avoid the tethering fee by downloading a third party app from an application store. If you tether using Verizon's service, you will still be charged the $20 a month to access Mobile Broadband Connect. So you need to be proactive and find an app that you can use.

What if I have an old Verizon unlimited data plan? Can I download an app and avoid the $20 tethering fee too?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Verizon says that customers under the unlimited plan are required by the company's terms of service to pay an additional fee to tether their device.

My company is not Verizon, It is T-Mobile. They make it difficult to use a tethering app. I can not just simply turn it on in settings. It says t here is a network problem.  Here is a more recent story:

OP Replied 2016 Method for Bypassing T-Mobile's Tether Lock self.
... .submitted 4 months ago by Marmalade_Shaws

T-Mobile is my current carrier (please no suggestions on switching, I am content with what I have. I am on an unlimited data plan with 7GB of hotspot, which frustrates me.
He goes on to say how he tried many things and just could not get it to work. But In my case I did find an App that works, But it is a horrible App. I wish for something the is clean and easy to use. Every time I try to start it, I have to spend several minuets getting rid of the pop ups that try to get me to try another app. I understand that free Apps do that. But it gets to be absurd.

So, the original question is: Are there out there some good Teetering Apps that will work on T-Mobile?  I am not a pirate!  I am not trying to cheat my racier. IMO the carrier has an abusive policy on teetering. Therefore,  I think I am within my consumers rights to make my Android work the way it was designed to work.
Thanks for you comments, BC.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
As the article I linked says, the LTE cellular companies are preventing users from making use of the Android features

The article you linked appears to discuss blocked tethering apps. I'm not certain the OS even had the feature when the article was written.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »
I'm using Boost Mobile for my cellular service.  If I want to tether, i.e. use my phone as a Wi-Fi Hotspot for my tablet, which I occasionally do, I have to pay for a special data allowance to do this.  For only $5, I can buy 1GB 30 Day Mobile Hotspot.  I've never needed to buy more than this in 1 month. 

Although I am inclined to think customers ought to be able to use their basic data allowance for tethering, the options for purchasing data packs for a Mobile Hotspot are, as you see, inexpensive with Boost Mobile. 

I get the impression, from a bit of searching, that you should be able to get tethering to work with you T-Mobile account.  Here's one page I found: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2384

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »
soybean,
Thanks for the reply, I shall check the link you gave.  :)

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:10:59 AM »
You don't say which tethering app you are using that keeps nagging you.  I've recommended PDANet/FoxFi several times to you.  It's the app I use and it works great.

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon and VZ blocks my usage of the included hotspot app.  FoxFi allows me to turn the hotspot on anyway.  PDANet allows me to use USB or Bluetooth tethering.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
I tried so many I lost track. At one time the FoxFi worked. And then it stopped.
I will try again later today after I finish my chores.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 05:35:44 PM »
If you get a data plan that allows tethering then there is absolutely nothing stopping you. I tether very regularly (working on long train journeys with work) and it works absolutely fine using Android's built in USB tethering functionality.  I've even simultaneously had 10+ different people connected through my phone using the built in WiFi tethering with no issues.  With a modern version of Android I can't see the need to use any sort of third party app.

Are you sure that your data plan allows you to tether? If not this is probably your issue.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 07:09:53 PM »
Last time I looked, my plan does no tallow tethering. But  two months ago it was working. The parent company, T-Mobile, is making changes to its policies. When I  speak to customer support I get a heavy accent  man who does not make it clear if I can or can not. I don't know what he said.

UPDATE: Just now I got a new app for my smartphone and it did let be do a nice hot Hot spot that works good. But it looks like it over rides some kind of thing that tries to prevent me from using a hot spot. So for now, I will not use it unless I have dire emergency.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:00:11 PM by Geek-9pm »