Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Running same software on 2 different computers  (Read 16114 times)

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Running same software on 2 different computers
    « on: July 25, 2016, 10:23:47 PM »
    Hi,
    I have 2 Asus T100T computers bought within weeks of each other. Both came with Win 8 and have been upgraded to win 10.
    I use a program called Labels Unlimited. This works on one computer. The other computer says - Application error  Labeler caused  a general protection fault in module LUW.EXE at 000F-006E.
    I have another 10 year old XP computer which has been running this for 10 years. Yesterday it started telling me the same thing
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Geoffl

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Running same software on 2 different computers
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:31:30 PM »
    Labels Unlimited.?
    Did you buy this software?
    https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Company-LUN8AE-BI-Labels-Unlimited/dp/B000DZG7XG
    If the above e is the same product, you might consider bunting a new copy ans see if it works.

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »
      I think it is the same. We have been using this since 1996 - first on Win 98

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:35:58 PM »
        I copied the whold directory from the computer which won't run it to the computer which does so it's not bad files

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »
        Get a new version, register it and you will get customer support.
        Others report that it does not run on Windows 7. However, handing a new version could make a difference. Th company claims the new version works on Window 7.

Also, overtime the files may have been corrupted or modified. That is another reason for having an up to date version. Amazon offers a version of that program for under $15 and may have  a return policy if bought from Amazon.

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »
          It has to be something different about one computer If I copied the whole directory to the other and it works on that one

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 11:00:48 PM »
            I just copied the directory from the working computer back to the other and it still won't work there

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 05:42:33 AM »
            Programs cannot be copied and moved to another PC...

It need to be properly installed to work properly.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »
              I think this was written before programs needed to be installed. I have copied it from one computer to another for years and never had any problem. I don't understand how I can copy it to one computer and it works - the other identical computer it doesn't.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
              I think this was written before programs needed to be installed. I have copied it from one computer to another for years and never had any problem. I don't understand how I can copy it to one computer and it works - the other identical computer it doesn't.
              The maker of the program  has the source code3and could tell you why that happens. But if you do not use a new current version of their software, they have no motivation to teach you how it works. I think I already said that. For less that $15 you will get a new copy. If you use the program for any purpose, even educational, you have to buy a license to use it on another computer. Only the FBI can get way with breaking the law.   ;D

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
                I used to keep my C drive in a removable tray so I could  take it home and work there. As computers were upgraded I would just slot the drive into the new one. Surely this is only one use.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 11:18:45 PM »
                I used to keep my C drive in a removable tray so I could  take it home and work there. As computers were upgraded I would just slot the drive into the new one. Surely this is only one use.
                Yes, that does sound like only one instance of the program. Without the documentation not tell you want polices the company has about using more than  one instance of the program.
                A few yes ago the owners of software used secret methods to prevent people of reselling software soothers. When you buy software you only buy the right to use it on one computer. Also, Microsoft has been very o active in prevention of software piracy.  The inner details of methods used are seldom published t to the public.

There may be a hidden file that must o be present to make the program work. Therefore,  when you copy the hidden file might not be sent to the other PC. One example is a zero byte file that  also hidden.  In some cases the copy program ignores zero byte files.

Of course, I can not help you with any effort to circumvent this feature of the original program. That is why I just recommend you buy another copy.

In previous request  like this from others, I have had the gut felling the the person asking is a professional pirate and wants to make hundreds of copies and resell them with the free information I might provide. Especially so when  the price of the product is very reasonable for commercial use. **

I trust you do understand why I can not give you any more help on this.  ;)

** For non-commercial use there are many free programs to print labels.

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 01:08:34 AM »
                  I am very much against piracy of any form. I work in the music business and this is every where. If people can't make a buck out of their creations we won't have any. I just can't understand - the same set of files - two identical PC's one works 1 does not. The 15-20 dollars is not an issue. I would just like to know if it is some setting on one PC

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
                  OK. Without the documentation and install CD, it would;d be hard to guess.  As mentioned earlier, software companies have secret methods of protecting software. What settings Microsoft has recently put into Windows updates  is not fully disclosed.

In current versions of Windows all programs must be registered internally with the Windows operating system. This can include a SSL certificate that can be traced back to the copyright holder.

If you wish to circumvent this, presumably for a legitimate reason, you need to manually make Windows accept  the program and skip the warning about security. Sorry, I can not remember how this is done. ** 

If the program has a install CD, this is not needed. That is why I recommend getting a new copy of the p or a few dollars. In Installer makes sure all the settings are correct and the program is accepted by Windows. That has been true of most Windows versions for some time.   :)

**  I was notable to find the right article.  :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »
                  What version of "Labels Unlimited" are we dealing with here?

In current versions of Windows all programs must be registered internally with the Windows operating system. This can include a SSL certificate that can be traced back to the copyright holder.
                  Programs do not need to be "registered internally" with Windows. Nor is there any requirement regarding "SSL Certificates". Executables can be signed but signed executables do not have any protection features- it's in place so you can be sure the executable wasn't tampered with since it was signed by the publisher.

you need to manually make Windows accept  the program and skip the warning about security. Sorry, I can not remember how this is done. ** 

"Labeler caused a general protection fault in module LUW.EXE at 000F-006E" is not a warning about security.

The Error message makes me think this might be a 16-bit application, as 32-bit application crashes of the same form would present a "LUW.EXE has stopped working" type of dialog.

I have another 10 year old XP computer which has been running this for 10 years. Yesterday it started telling me the same thing
                  This is the interesting bit we've all missed so far- the otherwise working install suddenly stopped working and gave the same error message.

Is it possible you changed some configuration options or other settings with the program on the XP machine, and then  copied it to the new system?
                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 10:44:20 AM »
                  Reference:
                  Everything you need to know about Authenticode Code Signing
                  As a software publisher, there are two reasons to sign your code:
                    1. To prove its Integrity
                    2. To develop its Reputation
                  The first point is simple: digitally signing your code helps to ensure that it cannot be tampered with, either on your servers, or when it is being downloaded to a user’s computer, especially over an insecure protocol like HTTP or FTP. This provides the user the confidence of knowing that the program they’ve just downloaded is the same one that you built.

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 06:49:42 PM »
                    This is version 1.021 - System requirements Win 3.1. We have used this program every day since 1996 and never had any problem. The XP computer is around 8 years old I think and this has been running all that time. Nothing changed - it worked in the morning and stopped in the afternoon. I copied the whole directory  to my Asus t100 just to see if I could play around and figure out whats wrong but it won't work there either. I put the same stick in my Home T100, copied the directory and it works. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    « Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 09:47:13 PM »
                    A useful tool:
                         MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility
                    by: Download.com staff on November 30, 2009
                    Raymond Lin's MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility is a standalone freeware tool that generates and verifies cryptographic hashes in MD5 and SHA-1. Cryptographic hash functions are commonly used to guard against malicious changes to protected data in a wide variety of software, Internet, and security applications, including digital signatures and other forms of authentication.
                    MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility is free to download and use, though Ray accepts donations from satisfied users. At a mere 57k, his checksum tool is about as small as a useful, functioning utility can be in this age of bloatware, and even more so considering that it's certified to work in Windows Vista and 7.
                    One would use this to verify that any copy of a  file is that same as the original. So if one were to suspect that making a copy of a file made some very small change, the  utility will sport the change, but can not locate the cause of the change.

As for Windows XP, not are versions behave the same way.  In fact, a XP version may change  behavior in a short span of time. The has been documented extensively and is also my personal experience. There is not easy  or quick way to find out how and why XP changes its behavior. No verifiable reason has been given.

Do you wish to pursue this as an academic experiment? MS no longer supports XP, so we do not expect they will be of any help.
                    EDIT: Microsoft does admit XP can have strange b behavior.
                    Unexplained Windows or software behavior may be caused by deceptive software
                    Notice how they shift the blame.  ;D Nor do they admit there are other reasons for storage behavior; namely updates that modify Windows XP.
                    « Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:57:36 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 04:12:45 AM »
                    It's a Windows 3.1 Program so I suspect it is a change made such that a file it is looking for is not found and the program crashes. It may be that it is looking for a file or folder specified in one of it's INI files which was removed from the XP system and is present on one of the 32-bit Windows 10 systems.

soybean

Genius
                    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                    • Experience: Experienced
                    « Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
                    This is version 1.021 - System requirements Win 3.1.
                    ANCIENT, ANCIENT, ANCIENT!!!  Buy a newer version and stop wasting time with that very old software.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »
                    Is wasting time with newer software more prestigious?

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 03:58:13 PM »
                    Not neccessarily...but i believe soybean has a valid point in this case...
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

geoffl

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »
                      Thanks for all your help
                      Geoffl