Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Printer Stops USB Boot Up  (Read 2619 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
My Printer Stops USB Boot Up
« on: August 01, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »
No Joke!  8)
This issue is more about hardware, but it is related also to software. In a few words, my HP printer prevents my computer from booting from a USB drive. The practical solution is just to unplug the printer until the boot process is finished. In my BIOS there is no provision to select which USB port is to be the boot device. For some reason that I don't understand, it wants to select my HP printer, even when I do not have a USB card plugged into the printer.
So what I do is just remember to unplug the printer whenever I want to boot from the USB drive. This post just to let other people know that this could be a potential problem if they have a setup similar to mine. I am using an HP 6810 all-in-one printer. A workaround would be to set it up as a wireless printer, but I prefer to be set up as a USB printer.
Perhaps this could be some help to others. Oh, I forgot to mention. I have had this problem for some time but I just forgot all about it. Now that I am starting to have total recall, I remember that one time I booted up my computer within the USB drive plugged into the printer. That seems to be so off-the-wall.   ;D

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: My Printer Stops USB Boot Up
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
I ran into this problem with a USB Video Capture device. My solution that worked was that the USB hub that I placed in between the device and computer added a non-boot detect barrier. You would think that the hub would be completely passive, but the computer detects the hub vs the device that is plugged into the hub,  and the hub chipset doesnt have an instruction that initializes giving a false positive as a bootable device.

So I was then able to keep the video capture device plugged in all the time so that I didnt have to remember to unplug it when done before shutdown so that the next time I booted the computer it wouldnt get hung up past the Biostar splash screen of the computer and sit at a blinking cursor forever.

If you want to keep it plugged in all the time without having to unplug it and still have BIOS always set up to support of a bootable USB stick, a USB HUB might be your solution the same way that mine is. I am using a Belkin USB HUB USB 2.0 but any USB HUB "should" act as a boot barrier for devices connected to the USB HUB. * My USB HUB is an older 7 year old hub and I am not sure if newer ones would initialize at boot and pass devices that are bootable on it to the computer. To me it wouldnt make sense to allow for this pass through because say you have 2 USB sticks connected to it and both are bootable, it would come down to whichever port interrupt is the first for the USB HUB or USB stick first handshaked with the HUB chipset. So newer hubs if you get a newer one should still work as a barrier, but there is that slight chance that some manufacturers HUB would pass through saying that a bootable device is connected to it. Im not familiar with the low level protocol that is used at boot to find more info on this to search for a hub that doesnt support the USB low level communication protocol. If you happen to have a USB hub on hand though its worth a free try at a solution, otherwise USB 2.0 hubs are cheap and it might be worth the $10 or $15 etc at a gamble to fix this with the HUB method.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My Printer Stops USB Boot Up
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »
Unplug the printer...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "