Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New E-Mail Source  (Read 4624 times)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    • Experience: Beginner
    New E-Mail Source
    « on: June 26, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »
    Hiya Fellas' Through most of my computer years I used "Outlook Express" for my Windows e-mail...Then Windows stopped
    supporting it, so I changed to "Windows Live". This program is not a patch of the old O.E. and now, because of Win 10,
    we are having to change again! I nearly changed to Outlook instead of W.L. ..I wish I had now!

Anyway, I want to change from Live now to Outlook, but it looks quite a daunting task..
    Anyone know where I can get a good read me on the procedure, I would be greatly obliged.  ;D ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New E-Mail Source
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »
    Here is one:
    http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/how-to-switch-from-live-com-to-outlook-com.4557/

Top be clear, do you want an online email reader or one that can be used offline to read stored messages?

Programs that can read mail that was downloaded earlier are called A"email client' and are actual programs on your PC or tablet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients

Services that offer e-mail have their own web  programs the have to be used on-line. Here is a short list of e-mail services.
    http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_email.htm

Most of the good services will let you do it your way. Either on the web using their software, or using a local client of your chicle. Preferably, you would want a service that gives the most versatility. That way any future  change will be not so hard. But if things really get  to be tough, you would consider buying your own custom email service.

(Footnote. Many Internet Service Providers will not let you use SMTP for outgoing mail. The is a very annoying practice. )

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
      « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:18:31 AM »
      Geek ...I do thank you very sincerely my friend for this reply and contact..    ;D

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
        « Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:33:20 AM »
        What about "Outllook Live" mate?   I have opened a Windows account and been directed to this program??????? :-[

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »
        Hotmail is the site (service) where you can log in and access your email. Outlook is the replacement to Hotmail, where it looks like Microsoft is trying to combine everything from Windows Live and Hotmail.Dec 17, 2012

This change of horse in mid stream is, IMHO, a bad choice on the part of Microsoft. People become used to some terms and names and it is confusing to change.
        Here is just one of many articles about this.
        http://outlookpower.com/article/what-is-microsoft-office-outlook-live/
        The above article is censusing even to me, and I have been using windows for years now. To quote Bill Gates, "This most stupid thing."
        The article says it  will copy mail from your POP accounts and copy it into some other place somewhere.

In short, the 'new' outlook is really a web program. I think.  :-X
        This might be one of the reasons people shy away from the MS mail concept.

ideology.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
        Windows Live Mail was Hotmail. The web service was rebadged to Outlook.com around four years ago.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
          « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:54 AM »
          Well ... having this "Outlook.live" suddenly appear upon me looks very inviting, albeit that it is not properly working for me yet.  ???? ??? ???

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:25:31 PM »
          Windows Live Mail was Hotmail. The web service was rebadged to Outlook.com around four years ago.
          Windows Live Mail is an email client; is is bundled as part of Microsoft Essentials; see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17779/download-windows-essentials   Microsoft needed a new email client when Outlook Express for Windows XP and previous versions of Windows was abandoned, and for Windows Vista users moving on to Windows 7 since Vista came with Windows Live, an email client specifically designed for, and only compatible with, Windows Vista. 

I nearly changed to Outlook instead of W.L. ..I wish I had now!
          Did you mean Microsoft Outlook that is bundled with Microsoft Office, or Outlook.com?   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
          Yes, my confusion. It was Windows Live Hotmail that they called it for a short time. Interestingly, Windows Live Mail's first search result goes to one's Microsoft account inbox. (The wikipedia entry documenting that it is not the same is lower down).
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
            « Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »

Did you mean Microsoft Outlook that is bundled with Microsoft Office, or Outlook.com?

Outlook.com I guess.   Being an old "Lotus" man, I am not at all happy with "Office" ..either in performance or price!    8) 8)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
              « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 02:38:01 AM »
              Well guys I have installed Thunderbird and I think I will use this for the time being!    Anything to get away from WLLM! ;D ;D ;D