Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No audio on my laptop  (Read 5786 times)

SRH

No audio on my laptop
« on: November 28, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »
I have a Gateway 400vtx laptop with Windows XP and my sound is no longer working. I have tried system restore, checked the volume, tried speakers and headphones, uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card (Sigma Tel-C Audio), tried updating the sound driver (there was no more recent driver) and gone entirely through both the Windows and Gateway sound troubleshooters. Nothing has helped and my computer shows all sound hardware and software as being functional. Please help! How can I fix this?

merlin_2

Re: No audio on my laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:32:30 PM »
There should be a little wheel, under the cdrom drive, adujust it.

SRH

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the help, but I can't find the wheel. Is it on the bottom of my laptop or actually on the underside of the ejected CD-Rom drive? Also, I don't know if this makes a difference, but it isn't just CD's that aren'y playing. There is no audio of any kind.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:44:16 PM »
Check the gateway manual. for your model........the wheel.....is located under the cdrom drive on most laptops next to the the headphones plug -in......with out it turned on, you will not get any sounds at all.?

SRH

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:03:37 PM »
Thanks again but I checked all over my laptop and looked through the users manual. I don't have a wheel. Any other suggestions???

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 04:06:29 PM »
Yes ,type dxdiag in the run box..........have you disabled the sound.or someone has in the bios setup?or the themes setup?

SRH

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 04:15:20 PM »
I ran dxdiag and it said "no problems found" under the sound 1 section (which is my SigmaTel Audio card) but then I did "Test Direct Sound" and I didn't hear anything so it now says "Direct Sound Test Results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software) HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)" I don't think I've disabled the sound... As for BIOS and themes setup, I'm not sure what that means.

merlin_2

SRH

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »
I tried this link several times and can't get it to work. Any other way I can view this information?

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 05:09:29 PM »
Did the audio card come with the pc in question.

SRH

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 05:24:52 PM »
Yes, the audio card came in my laptop. It's internal and I've never done anything to change it.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 05:26:25 PM »
Load the software that came with it. yawn?

SRH

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 05:36:33 PM »
Yep, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it twice today.

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:45:07 PM »
Buy a new laptop.

Another nice con people fell into the trap.......i would invest my cash into a moble phone....bfn

SRH

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 05:48:55 PM »
Ok. Well thanks anyway