Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No audio on my laptop  (Read 5789 times)

SRH

No audio on my laptop
« on: November 28, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »
I have a Gateway 400vtx laptop with Windows XP and my sound is no longer working. I have tried system restore, checked the volume, tried speakers and headphones, uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card (Sigma Tel-C Audio), tried updating the sound driver (there was no more recent driver) and gone entirely through both the Windows and Gateway sound troubleshooters. Nothing has helped and my computer shows all sound hardware and software as being functional. Please help! How can I fix this?

merlin_2

Re: No audio on my laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:32:30 PM »
There should be a little wheel, under the cdrom drive, adujust it.

SRH

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the help, but I can't find the wheel. Is it on the bottom of my laptop or actually on the underside of the ejected CD-Rom drive? Also, I don't know if this makes a difference, but it isn't just CD's that aren'y playing. There is no audio of any kind.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:44:16 PM »
Check the gateway manual. for your model........the wheel.....is located under the cdrom drive on most laptops next to the the headphones plug -in......with out it turned on, you will not get any sounds at all.?

SRH

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:03:37 PM »
Thanks again but I checked all over my laptop and looked through the users manual. I don't have a wheel. Any other suggestions???

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 04:06:29 PM »
Yes ,type dxdiag in the run box..........have you disabled the sound.or someone has in the bios setup?or the themes setup?

SRH

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 04:15:20 PM »
I ran dxdiag and it said "no problems found" under the sound 1 section (which is my SigmaTel Audio card) but then I did "Test Direct Sound" and I didn't hear anything so it now says "Direct Sound Test Results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software) HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)" I don't think I've disabled the sound... As for BIOS and themes setup, I'm not sure what that means.

merlin_2

SRH

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 04:37:45 PM »
I tried this link several times and can't get it to work. Any other way I can view this information?

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 05:09:29 PM »
Did the audio card come with the pc in question.

SRH

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 05:24:52 PM »
Yes, the audio card came in my laptop. It's internal and I've never done anything to change it.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 05:26:25 PM »
Load the software that came with it. yawn?

SRH

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 05:36:33 PM »
Yep, I've uninstalled and reinstalled it twice today.

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 05:45:07 PM »
Buy a new laptop.

Another nice con people fell into the trap.......i would invest my cash into a moble phone....bfn

SRH

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 05:48:55 PM »
Ok. Well thanks anyway

merlin_2

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:58:37 PM »
You have  seem to have solved your own problem?

SRH

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »
No, the sound still isn't working but it sounded like you didn't have any more suggestions.

merlin_2

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 06:13:20 PM »
Do you now anything about pcs.........or is this some kind of web-game you have started on........pc chess.stop playing the fool........as most people take the british for idots we are not.........the yanks/candians/ossies maybe.

SRH

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 06:30:45 PM »
Yes, I know a little bit about PCs, enough to have tried the things I've already tried but clearly not enough to figure out what the problem is. And no, this is not a game. I'm not playing the fool at all Merlin, if you can help I'd appreciate it if not then just quit responding. There's no need to get rude. I am honestly having a PC problem here and would really like to get my sound fixed without having to take it into a shop and pay a whole bunch of money. Besides, how would I have any idea you're British? I found this site on a Yahoo search for computer help. Geez.

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 06:36:07 PM »
Shall we start from.......whathave you done...........was this laptop bought on emay.....the specs are......?

No one gains from timewasted.........not even you/?

SRH

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 06:49:54 PM »
I bought my laptop brand new off the Gateway website in June 2003. The sound has always worked until today. Just Saturday I was playing a CD and everything was fine but suddenly today there was no audio. No error message, no nothing, just no audio. I added some new software about a week ago but it didn't affect the sound as far as I know of because it worked since then. I have WIndows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 1 (I installed Service Pack 2 about 3 weeks ago but it really slowed my computer down so I took it off. Don't think that affected the sound). I also have a Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20 GHZ, 2.19 GHz, and 248 MB of Ram.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 11:24:14 PM »
    Take a look in your device manager for !s and Xs and ?s.

SRH

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 12:49:55 AM »
    Thanks, but I checked the device manager and everything there looks good. No red or yellow marks, just the normal pluses.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 12:06:07 PM »
      I would try re-installing DirectX 9.0c.