Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help Selecting Laptop  (Read 2587 times)

Scolopendra

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help Selecting Laptop
    « on: August 16, 2016, 04:07:53 AM »
    I need a new laptop. I seem to have a hard time finding the specs in their descriptions and don't know that much anyway and if what I'm getting is a good value for the price or for what I want it to do so I would really appreciate laptop model recommendations from people good at assessing all of the components. I want a laptop that can run games like Zoo Tycoon 2, Assasins Creed 2 and the Witcher at ultra high settings. These are pretty old so this isn't really necessitating a "gaming laptop" is it? If it could play some newer games at passable levels (it runs with a good enough frame rate that I can play effectively and doesn't look like total garbage) like say The Old Republic that would be nice but I am generally content to use a console for newer games so I really want to keep it pretty cheap. Also if it can still play some REALLY old games like Zoo Tycoon 1 this would be important although this is an issue with the new operating systems isn't it? Can I get around this?

Scolopendra

Topic Starter

Re: Help Selecting Laptop
      « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »
      Honestly spec recommendations are great too. When I say I can't find specs what I can't find in the descriptions on Amazon on many of the laptops is the GDDR which I understand to be the most important part of the graphics card?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »
      See Here...

Then check your list of games against the laptop your looking at...
      3 components determine game quality...CPU...GPU...and RAM
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

HP2

Intermediate
      • True Story
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »
      Take a look to this website: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/laptop/
      You can filter laptops with different settings.

The most important thing on a GPU is the clockspeed, but it can be misleading because not all MHz all equals. It depends on the number of cores (stream processor for AMD or CUDA core for Nvidia), the gen, etc. Better look at real world benchmarks to see the true performance of a GPU (just google "[GPU name] benchmark [game name]")

For the games you mentioned, maybe an integrated GPU from a modern CPU could be enough, but I'm not sure. Someone with better knowledge could tell you.