Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is happening to my Dell  (Read 5047 times)

suomyona

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    What is happening to my Dell
    « on: August 24, 2016, 05:22:25 AM »
    Im watching some youtube video and out of nowhere, this screen. Then it restarts.

dell problem

By the way: I could not get the embed video appear for the world. I dont know what I am doing wrong, clickable link will have to do.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What is happening to my Dell
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:30:57 AM »
    Is this a new Dell covered by warranty?

Did this computer come with windows 10 or you upgraded it to 10?

It could be a video driver issue or GPU failure. Id make a bootable Linux distro and run that and see if everything behaves. Linux Mint DVD can boot and run from the DVD without installing. You can surf the internet with this and play youtube videos and see if  the problem comes back.

If the computer is covered by a warranty, I would use the warranty and make a claim for correction to this.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »
    Kinda silly you published a key code for Win 10 on a public Forum...oh well... too late now
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

suomyona

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »
      A "key code"? are you referring to the information picture. That is a product ID not a key code.

suomyona

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
        Is this a new Dell covered by warranty?

Did this computer come with windows 10 or you upgraded it to 10?

It could be a video driver issue or GPU failure. Id make a bootable Linux distro and run that and see if everything behaves. Linux Mint DVD can boot and run from the DVD without installing. You can surf the internet with this and play youtube videos and see if  the problem comes back.

If the computer is covered by a warranty, I would use the warranty and make a claim for correction to this.

Thanks for the response. This computer came with windows 8. God I hope its not GPU failure... I do not think its under warranty, I didn't purchase any extra warranty add on when I purchased it at bestbuy. I only get this once in a while so Linux doesn't seem like a solution I would want. I wonder why it restarts though if its the display driver.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »
        I only get this once in a while so Linux doesn't seem like a solution I would want.

Given its frequency is more random and infrequent it could also be RAM related. Id run memtest86 on this system and let it run for 4 or 5 full tests to make sure memory is all healthy. On laptops they share memory usually with system memory and so a RAM stick acting up can cause GPU issues too.

If it were a GPU that is failing I would expect it to be more frequent and able to be triggered by specific load conditions or heat related etc to where you can stress it with a game etc and cause it to act up.

RAM issues can cause sporadic issues as a memory address gets flakey or isnt used by GPU and then gets used as free memory address becomes available in the pool of memory addresses for the RAM.

Additionally running crystaldiskinfo to check to make sure hard drive is healthy might be a good test too as for swap space (virtual memory) issues as a result of a troubled hard drive can cause system instability at times randomly. If the drive shows green good with crystaldiskinfo then drive is not a problem but if it pops up with a warning then check further as to why its flagged as a troubled drive.

suomyona

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
          Thanks, one thing could it be possibly related to a restore point setting or change I did not too long ago. I have had this screen shutoff 2 more times since my last post, problem is persisting. How long do one of those 86tests take to complete?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »
          It runs in cycles til you terminate it.....you should run it at least 1 hour...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

suomyona

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
            OK. I am first going to try "CrystalDiskInfo" that was mentioned before. I forgot or overlooked that advice.

suomyona

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 12:16:39 AM »
              Given its frequency is more random and infrequent it could also be RAM related. Id run memtest86 on this system and let it run for 4 or 5 full tests to make sure memory is all healthy. On laptops they share memory usually with system memory and so a RAM stick acting up can cause GPU issues too.

If it were a GPU that is failing I would expect it to be more frequent and able to be triggered by specific load conditions or heat related etc to where you can stress it with a game etc and cause it to act up.

RAM issues can cause sporadic issues as a memory address gets flakey or isnt used by GPU and then gets used as free memory address becomes available in the pool of memory addresses for the RAM.

Additionally running crystaldiskinfo to check to make sure hard drive is healthy might be a good test too as for swap space (virtual memory) issues as a result of a troubled hard drive can cause system instability at times randomly. If the drive shows green good with crystaldiskinfo then drive is not a problem but if it pops up with a warning then check further as to why its flagged as a troubled drive.

Does this tell you anything, it has caution showing up.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

suomyona

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
                I think my hard drive is failing...