Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can 2 Video Cards be used at once  (Read 4008 times)

Mike Gilbert

Can 2 Video Cards be used at once
« on: July 30, 2004, 12:06:24 AM »
Ive got a maxi gamer Xentor 32 agp card in my computer atm.  Recently I have been able to get ahold of a digital video camera and am looking for ways to capture it.  Found an ATI all in wonder 128 with video capture but the xentor is a better card.  Can i put both cards in and just use the ati when i want to capture something?

Raptor

Re: Can 2 Video Cards be used at once
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 04:54:12 AM »
Yes, you can. However, you did not mention wheter they are AGP or PCI cards.

If you install an AGP card on a PCI slot it will not operate at full capacity. Same goes for a PCI card on an AGP slot.

Useful articles:

AGP

PCI

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 04:37:44 PM »
xentor is agp and all in wonder w/capture is pci...how would i go about setting it all up

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 02:24:32 AM »
I have no experience with dual videocards, however, I assume that you would install them like you would individual cards.

The AGP card goes into the slot that usually has a slightly different position and colours and the PCI would go in one of the slots where most likely your soundcard is connected.

Then you install drivers for both, ofcourse, reset before installing the other drivers otherwise you may not be able to boot Windows properly..

Perhaps someone can tell you more, I suggest you search for a guide or contact technical support to see what they can tell you.

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 08:46:05 PM »
WARNING: Switch the power switch on the back of your power supply OFF before working with AGP Video Cards, RAM, or the CPU in any system! If the PSU has no AC switch, unplug the PSU! The RAM, video card, and CPU are connected to +5V-STBY and will be damaged if tampered with while +5V-STBY is active.

Win98SE and later support dual video cards/displays. You mount the video cards and install the AGP card as your primary, then use Display Properties and the extra tab you get when you activate multiple display to arrange your screens. You can use the second display for simple text-only, append its display to your primary monitor, display part of the primary monitor on the secondary, or use each monitor for independent display...

Don't block the AGP card GPU fan with the secondary card, and consider that the AGP card often shares its IRQ with that nearest PCI slot...