Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thinkpad X201 - HOT Core i5 2.4 Ghz ... only runs at 1.2Ghz without battery COOL  (Read 6498 times)

Salmon Trout

Saran Wrap is better than nothing as a  form of birth control.
Is that why I have 12 kids?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Salmon Trout,
Thank you.
You did not mention which compounds dry out. Define 'Dry Out' ?
What is the test resultant for any dry compound?
Dry compounds  (materials) care in general use for industrial applications.
http://www.electronics-cooling.com/2002/05/understanding-phase-change-materials/

The way a PCM performs as compared to a dry joint and thermal grease appears in Figure 1. A pin fin heatsink is attached to a microprocessor with spring clips that provide approximately 35 kPa (5 psi) of compressive force. Power is applied and the temperature of the case and the heatsink are recorded until thermal equilibrium is reached. The temperature difference is plotted against elapsed time. The curve representing the dry joint shows a rapid establishment of thermal equilibrium at about 13oC. The curve for the thermal grease shows the same rapid steady state development but at a much lower temperature difference of 4oC. The thermal grease has significantly reduced the interface resistance by eliminating the interstitial air.

A PCM becomes an effective thermal martial in a few minutes.   :)

But no thermal compound will help a very hot laptop.  8)

Salmon Trout

I have a IBM Thinkpad X201 with 2.4Ghz Core i5 and laptop and the power supply were both getting VERY hot. I decided to remove the battery and see if it would run cooler if the laptop was running at the same time and not having to charge battery. Sure enough the laptop was cooler no longer 3rd degree burns to hands or lap at bottom of laptop and power supply was no longer feeling like it was going to melt into a pool of molten plastic. All temps back to how a laptop should feel for heat output...

Lenovo recalled around 40,000 laptop batteries in 2014 for overheating problems, including those supplied in X201s, and some aftermarket ones too. They were replaced regardless of warranty status. Maybe you can call the number and see if you qualify for the replacement battery.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/4923/20140328/lenovo-recalls-thousands-of-thinkpads-overheating-battery-could-cause-a-fire.htm

Salmon Trout

You did not mention which compounds dry out. Define 'Dry Out' ?
I did, I thought. Toothpaste dries out in about a week, allegedly. Dry out: to become dry; lose moisture.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Peanut butter is terrible. Some of them smell weird when they get warm.

Thanks for the laugh

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Geek i'm about to schedule you a short vacation regarding posting priveledges....so far in this 1 Topic you have suggested buying an air conditioner...and putting thermal paste in one's mouth.

It's not what we do here...so think about it carefully...

patio.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
User 'Salmon Trout' has blocked your personal message.

Hi Salmon ... Thanks for the private message on this about battery recall. I went to reply to you and got the message above. Also cool to know your first name after knowing you for years here. Thanks man.  :)

Salmon Trout

Dave
I think I blocked all PMs months ago because of some annoying people. I would never block you personally.
Salmon

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Laughs ... I know it wasnt to block me intentionally and figured it was something along those lines.  And posting it back here was a means of it getting back to you to thank you. ;D