Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My GTX 650 may have died  (Read 2977 times)

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Everything happens for a reason
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
My GTX 650 may have died
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »
Hi! Didn't post for a long time, still didn't forget why, but I try to forgive. So, I have a GTX 650 that I recently replaced with a 660, but when I needed to put it in my brother's PC, it refused to display anything. I tried it on my computer (I have a Corsair VS650), thinking that his PSU was passed (only has 350W, but they are 100% real, the PSU was free, good enough price LOL :) ), but still refused to work. Before I replaced it, it was 100% functional, all it did before plugging it into my brother's PC was to sit. What could have happened and what to do?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My GTX 650 may have died
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 01:53:33 PM »
Minimum...and i do mean minimum on that card is 400W...

So yer brother's PC ain't gonna run it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 04:26:52 PM »
Surprised minimum is 400 watts for that card. Most cards like the GTX's are 500 watts minimum, but double checking online it does specify 400 watts minimum. 

System Requirements
    Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N4981&cm_re=gtx_650-_-9SIA24G28N4981-_-Product

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:48:27 AM »
I know, but outervision's PSU calculator resulted, with his hardware, exactly 350W, so I said it's fine. But as I said, the PSU was free, so yeah... What to expect from that. But my question was why doesn't the Graphics Card work on my PC, which has a Corsair VS650 PSU?

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »
But my question was why doesn't the Graphics Card work on my PC, which has a Corsair VS650 PSU?

Sorry for not picking up on this on your initial post. If the question was more clear such as above on the initial post I would have picked up this question. From talking about 350 watt PSU, and you tried it on your computer with 650 watts, the target piece of info as a problem was that the 350 watt power supply was below requirement set by nVidia. What you said before as seen below felt like a bunch of run on sentences in which the actual question gets lost among it all.

Hi! Didn't post for a long time, still didn't forget why, but I try to forgive. So, I have a GTX 650 that I recently replaced with a 660, but when I needed to put it in my brother's PC, it refused to display anything. I tried it on my computer (I have a Corsair VS650), thinking that his PSU was passed (only has 350W, but they are 100% real, the PSU was free, good enough price LOL :) ), but still refused to work. Before I replaced it, it was 100% functional, all it did before plugging it into my brother's PC was to sit. What could have happened and what to do?

So the real problem is that you have a video card that is a GTX 650 which worked when you uninstalled it from your system. Your system you upgraded to the GTX 660. You gave your brother the GTX650 for his computer with 350 watt power supply and it didnt work. You then stuck the GTX 650 back into your computer and it doesnt work. So the GTX 650 if connected properly with 12 volt molex and healthy power supply of correct rating is now dead.

Verify that the 12v molex power connection is made. Verify that a 400 watt or larger name brand power supply is used.

With your system with 650 watt power supply, removing the 660 and installing the 650 if the molex 12v is connected and nothing for video then the card is damaged.

Damaged video cards usually mean sending it out for repair, or warranty replacement, or buying a new video card.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
It don't matter what outervision says...Card manuf. site states 400W...minimum

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »
The GTX 650 version is the Zotac one, which doesn't have a 6-pin conector. The 12V power is fine, and, as I said, I tried the Graphics on a 650W PSU, so that's out. The warranty just went out last month sadly... I may try mounting it again, because my MoBo POSTs pretty slow (let's not get into that)/

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:08:28 AM »
I may try mounting it again, because my MoBo POSTs pretty slow (let's not get into that)/

POST should be quick... you have more than one issue on your hands. Not getting into it as per your request.  :-X

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:52:33 AM »
Don't worry, my MoBo is a server grade one (check specs button), so it's fine + my RAM config is very bad (1 single sided DIMM + one dual sided) + the MoBo is triple channel, but has 4 slots (triple channel FTW :D) + my fans start to spin pretty slow (cheap fans, pretty obvious).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »
No wonder it Posts slowly...it's starin at mis-matched RAM for 45 seconds...

antoniu200

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 05:30:22 AM »
No wonder it Posts slowly...it's starin at mis-matched RAM for 45 seconds...

LOL I'm in no rush. Reason why I'm fine with a HDD, but I'm thinking of putting 2 HDDs in RAID 0 (I wanted to put them in RAID 1, but since my Seagate HDD is in perfect condition, I will put them in RAID 0). I hope that this afternoon I will be able to teat the Graphics Card again and post and update to the thread status.