Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any recommendations for a cheap tablet?  (Read 1977 times)

internalizedbyte

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Any recommendations for a cheap tablet?
    « on: September 19, 2016, 11:53:19 AM »
    Can anyone recommend an inexpensive tablet that can be used for studying. Mostly for things like reading Kindle/Ebooks/PDFs, browsing, and watching movies/lectures. I would like to do some light gaming as well so I'll need the ability to access Google Play store for my apps/games so if rooting is necessary that needs to be taken in account. Also I'll be using it where it could get banged up a little (gym/cycling), so I would like to keep it under $100 so I don't feel bad if it breaks. Hardware wise, I only need it to last a year and a half while keeping up with software just enough to not be slow but at the same time not be out much if I have unseen accident at the gym.

Thanks guys

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Any recommendations for a cheap tablet?
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
    Your question seems to be very broad. Almost anything nowadays can access the Internet, even some coffeemakers now access the Internet to order more coffee.

But let me be more serious, I imagine you're interested in mostly just having access to the Internet. One of the best deals you can get nowadays is to find a good quality smart phone that has a large screen and find the best plan that will allow you to have data on your plan. One place to start is to look around in your community and see if there is a store called PCS Metro. They are a part of T-mobile and sometimes they offer the best help for people that are not sure of exactly what to get. They've been a great help to me and my family.

Now, having said that, you can also get good deals from AT&T and Verizon wireless. They all are very competitive.

Yes, you did ask for a tablet and not a telephone. But what I'm trying to tell you that if you consider the cost of your Internet connection and the portability then you will consider the possibility of a tablet that is also a smart phone. These items have a very low price and perform almost as good as a regular computer for just general web surfing. And believe it or not, they are excellent for watching just a plain movie or TV show over Netflix or who or any of the other streaming websites. By the way, some of the Internet companies now let you stream movies over major sites without paying extra for data or usage. This can make a big difference when figuring out the relative cost of your total Internet experience.

Not getting to the exact thing you asked for, there are lots and lots of cheap laptops out there. If you go beyond just the Apple and Windows computers, you can find some real bargains in the android devices. Typically an android device can be price all over the entire range of cheap to medium too expensive, depending on your wants.

You also might check out stores in your area that deal in bargain prices. Here in the US such stores would be best by, Target and Walmart.
    Local retail stores are now becoming an important asset in buying the red thing for your computing needs. They often have very liberal return policies and exchange and update policies. In some cases you can buy a cheap item, try it out, then come back in a couple of days and exchange it for something that sells for a higher price. This is something to look into before you buy. The retail chains are now competing very closely with the online stores.

One of the cheap tablet you can find this made by RCA. This tablet usually has a 10 inch your 11 inch screen and a detachable keyboard. The keyboard is independent of the tablet and you don't have to have the keyboard when you go traveling. Unless you want to. Both the tablet and the keyboard have rechargeable batteries.

Similar products are made by others and the prices vary a lot. You set a price limit of about $150 you will do real well. If you drop below $100 for a cheap tablet, you might find some disappointment. I got a cheap phone tablet only to find out that it cannot do 4G data. It is limited to 3G data. That is very frustrating because I used to do some downloading using a 4G service and now I can't do that because I got rid of my old phone and bought this new one that I thought I could use in its place. So you live and learn.

These are the best recommendations I can make at the time. I don't think you want a Windows notebook if you looking for the lowest possible price. You'll have to go with some type of android device.

EDIT: Please excuse typos. And do not buy Amazonian Kindle. It is too much controlled by Amazon.  Some of the best deals now are not brand names. I think the thing to do is buyh from a local store that has a liberal return policy.  They know some of the stuff is junk, so they are willing to offer a trade-up option if you return the item right away. Otherwise, using the Warranty option really sucks a lot.
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:18:12 PM by Geek-9pm »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »
    There are a bunch under $100 but games will be limited due to weak processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100023021%20600004370%20600144166%20600004384%20600004373%20600203924%20600566796%204027&cm_sp=Cat_Tablets_2-_-VisNav-_-7-Inch-Smaller_2

This tablet below has embedded Windows 8.1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM43K4592

*They are all fragile so I would leave it at home vs bringing it to gym or a place of risk of damage. If you want music just get a MP3 player or something vs putting your tablet at risk of being destroyed or stolen.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »
    Can anyone recommend an inexpensive tablet that can be used for studying. Mostly for things like reading Kindle/Ebooks/PDFs, browsing, and watching movies/lectures. I would like to do some light gaming as well so I'll need the ability to access Google Play store for my apps/games so if rooting is necessary that needs to be taken in account. Also I'll be using it where it could get banged up a little (gym/cycling), so I would like to keep it under $100 so I don't feel bad if it breaks. Hardware wise, I only need it to last a year and a half while keeping up with software just enough to not be slow but at the same time not be out much if I have unseen accident at the gym.
    Given the range of usage you have stated, I think keeping this purchase under $100 is probably unrealistic.  But, I admit, I haven't looked much at tablets in that price range.  I bought a Samsung Tab A 8" tablet about 5 months ago.  The typical retail price then was $200 but I got it on a special sale for $170.  I also bought a protective case which holds a bluetooth keyboard.  I think a protective case would be a wise investment for you since you want to take it to the gym, and, I presume, you'd be taking it with you quite often as a student.  My Samsung tablet has a basic edition of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.  And, I can access files created on my computer via a version of Microsoft OneDrive that works on Android tablets. 

You might also consider the Samsung - Galaxy Tab A 7", which is currently on sale at Best Buy for $120.  I believe the 7" model does not have the Microsoft Office components.  It has 8GB built-in memory, compared to 16GB for my Samsung - Galaxy Tab A 8".  But, with both models, you can add a microSD card for additional storage.   

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 05:45:24 AM »
      I'd recommend Asus ZenPad C 7.0. It's around $80 and though the functionality is limited somehow but again what more can you ask for at this price.