Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New RAM is preventing my machine from posting.  (Read 2531 times)

upperthorax

New RAM is preventing my machine from posting.
« on: December 01, 2005, 08:58:21 AM »
I just received a new stick of RAM yesterday. I installed it, properly, and now my machine won't post.

My set up.

Gigabyte K8NS pro mobo
AMD 64 Athlon 3000+
ATI Radeon 9800pro 256mb
2/Corsair 512mb DDR400mhz
Windows 2000 pro

I had 2 sticks of the RAM listed above before I installed the 3rd stick. The new (3rd) stick is identical to the existing 2. When I installed the new stick I didn't get a beep, I got a repeating beeeeeeep! Nothing comes up on my monitor.

So, I removed the chip and retried, same thing. I then proceeded to remove all of my chips and start from scratch. One by one, same results. Then I took a stick of the RAM that was already in my machine and tried it in different slots, same results. I did this with every stick, and every stick/slot combo. Nothing.

I've checked out Post Beep Codes, and have found nothing about the long continuous beeps.

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: New RAM is preventing my machine from posting.
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 09:24:34 AM »
    What BIOS do you have?
    AMI, AWARD or PHOENIX?

Try removing the CMOS battery from your motherboard to reset the defaults and try booting up again.

Try this for info:
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:02:58 PM »
    Something else has become unseated/unplugged...check the vid card ; drives ; and all fan connectors...after taking the excellent advice already given.

patio.  8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

upperthorax

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:59:59 PM »
    I'm going to check out all of my plugs. I did check the vid card, in fact I remounted it to be sure.

I also counted the beeps. Well I stopped counting after 25. It just keeps beeping, long beeps. Not too long, just longer then a good post beep.

Removing my CMOS batt did nothing. I'm going to clear it and see if that works. If it doesn't, I've got a good hardware friend coming over tomorrow to help me out.

I hope it's not the board because I just bought it 5 months ago.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
    Thorax:

Continuous beep tones with an Award BIOS means the memory is either bad, or not the correct type for your system, or not properly seated in the slots.  Try turning the computer off removing both sticks of RAM and then installing just one.  If the computer fails to boot, turn it off, remove the RAM stick and install the other one.  If the computer still fails to boot, swap out the new RAM and try the old RAM.  If the computer boots properly, return the new RAM sticks to the retailer.  

Best regards,
    Doc

Frankie

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 04:43:13 PM »
      Long continues beeps normally point to memory. Did you make sure you didnt apply to much preasure when you put the new Memory in the slot.
      « Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:48:56 PM by Frankie »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 04:49:11 PM »
      Thorax:

Also, to protect the RAM sticks from ESD, touch a metal area of the computer case to ground yourself before removing or installing them.  Place the RAM sticks on a sheet of paper and not on a plastic or metal surface.  Do not touch the metal contacts of the RAM sticks.  Hold them on the edges.  I also like to run a humidifier for a few minutes before working inside a PC.

Best regards,
      Doc

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 04:50:08 PM »

<--- Agrees with Frankie  8)