Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is my PSU the issue?  (Read 2305 times)

AshcroftR

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Is my PSU the issue?
    « on: November 16, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »
    So I approached my PC yesterday and noticed a burning plastic smell coming from that area. Everything was running fine but I guessed something was wrong with the PSU of the computer was jus overheating. So I went inside and cleaned a lot of dust out and turned it on again. Runs fine and has never crashed but every once in awhile I got that burning smell. Skip to today and I'm eating dinner near the computer off to the side a bit and I'm smelling it constantly. Thing is that the computer is off and hasn't been on all day. I'm not sure what to do. There is a router on top of the desk but I don't know what else it could be. Any ideas?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is my PSU the issue?
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
    The PSU (or at least the handling circuitry on some component) is certainly the most likely thing.  I'd suggest carefully examininng all wires and connectors (in particular SATA connectors which can occasionally melt if they are badly made) and look for any sign of melting/burning.  Carefully smelling around the inside of the machine may give a clue as to what part is at fault as the smell will tend to stay on the component that is burning so you may be able to pinpoint it.

At this point I'd be reluctant to continue running the machine until the issue is resolved - I certainly wouldn't be leaving it unattended and would keep it unplugged when not in use.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
    A burning order can be a plug or cord or jack.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »
    As mentoned above....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "