Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics  (Read 2845 times)

CaptainCourageous

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics
    « on: November 27, 2016, 08:09:04 PM »
    So my mother's old Inspiron B130 won't boot. Bios sees the HDD, ran a diagnostic and get Error 1000-0146 on the drive. Then use dell diagnostic software and the HDD: passes Quick test, passes S.M.A.R.T. test but fails Read test giving error blocks.

I can boot to my personal XP install disc, go to Recovery Console but forget what commands to run from the command prompt. I'll research what files to copy from the DVD, but could anyone tell me if this hard drive is toast? Seems to me if it passes Quick tet and Smart it's probably just some corrupted files or sector blocks.

Thanks to anyone w/any words of advice. Very much appreciated,

CaptainCourageous

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
    Id get a new hard drive for it. I have had drives pass smart before and have issues. Usually smart catches and logs the issue but some go undetected by it. A drive would be cheap for that computer.

I have this same B130 laptop with the Celeron M single-core and its quite slow. Hopefully yours is the better Pentium M. I picked it up for free when it was being thrown away, and someone installed Windows 7 to it which it barely runs on 2GB RAM. I tried the free Windows 10 upgrade with it and it wont run Windows 10 because of the hardware is not supported by 10.  ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dell Inspiron HDD error, passes some diagnostics
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
    From what you ststed it's not passin SMART...it's failing...

Best thing to do right now is hook it up internally as a slave drive...amd have another HDD with enough space to move the data to...

Be perepared ahead of time as when HDD's get to this point you may only get 1 shot at it...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "