Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What PSU and graphics card should I get for my upgrade?  (Read 2670 times)

ShafeDogg

What PSU and graphics card should I get for my upgrade?
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:41:07 PM »
I have a Dell XPS 8700, and I'm currently looking to upgrade the graphics card and power supply. I've been having issues with games freezing and I want a better graphics card anyway because the 750 Ti just isn't doing it for me. I know I want to get a GeForce GTX 1060, but I am unsure of which power supply I should get. I don't trust the default Dell PSU. My case is ATX so I'd like to get a smaller PSU if possible so there's no issues with space. I'm unsure of which brand I should get and what wattage/voltages I would need. I'd at least like an 80 Plus Gold rating. Also, which 1060 brand should I get? Should I go with a blower-style card to reduce some heat in the case, or just stick with the regular?

Specs:
Intel i7-4790
16GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (currently)
Seagate 2TB HDD
Dell 0KWVT8 Motherboard
Dell 460W PSU

Please let me know if you need more information, and thanks to everyone who takes the time to help me with this!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What PSU and graphics card should I get for my upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:35:32 PM »
The 1060 recommends a 400 Watt power supply, but you are smart to not trust the OEM PSU to deliver on it's rating. the PSU is usually the first thing that get's skimped on for pre-built systems, so they can put the money towards components to use as system bullet points.

Really it's hard to go wrong with most reputable brands. Just from my own experience, I've purchased a number of Corsair and EVGA power supplies and have had no issues with them at all.

Some Examples:

EVGA 500+ Bronze

Corsair CX500.

For a bit more you can also get a modular power supply. Very useful as it avoids having a bunch of wire spaghetti all over the case, since you only plug in the cords you need.

Another concern could be the length of the card. I found when upgrading from a 770GTX to a 1070GTX the 1070GTX was actually too long to fit; I had to remove one of my hard drive cages and re-arrange some of my internal disk drives to make space. For a XPS 8700, it looks like (based on some pics) the drive cages at the front might not designed to be removable which could complicate installation.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ShafeDogg

Re: What PSU and graphics card should I get for my upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:52 PM »
The 1060 recommends a 400 Watt power supply, but you are smart to not trust the OEM PSU to deliver on it's rating. the PSU is usually the first thing that get's skimped on for pre-built systems, so they can put the money towards components to use as system bullet points.

Really it's hard to go wrong with most reputable brands. Just from my own experience, I've purchased a number of Corsair and EVGA power supplies and have had no issues with them at all.

Some Examples:

EVGA 500+ Bronze

Corsair CX500.

For a bit more you can also get a modular power supply. Very useful as it avoids having a bunch of wire spaghetti all over the case, since you only plug in the cords you need.

Another concern could be the length of the card. I found when upgrading from a 770GTX to a 1070GTX the 1070GTX was actually too long to fit; I had to remove one of my hard drive cages and re-arrange some of my internal disk drives to make space. For a XPS 8700, it looks like (based on some pics) the drive cages at the front might not designed to be removable which could complicate installation.

Thanks for the reply. But how many watts should I look to buy? I can give more system specs if needed. And what version of the GTX 1060 should I get? There's too many for me to decide. I know I want the 6GB GDDR5 version, but I don't want to get a bad GPU brand either. Thanks!