Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with completely resetting hard drives  (Read 2940 times)

Desting

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Need help with completely resetting hard drives
    « on: December 05, 2016, 12:54:11 PM »
    Tommorow I am going to get the new parts for my PC. I bought everything new except for storage devices. I will be using an SSD and HD from my old PC.

I downloaded a program called HDShredder to erase my HD (my OS is on my SSD), and it worked fine. However, now that I want to do the same with my SSD, I cannot do it simply because my OS is on my SSD.

So how do I do as permanent erase of data on my SSD, when my OS is on it? All I did was reinstall Windows and format the SSD while I was at it, but I believe it's not as effective as using a software for completely deleting the content that was on it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Need help with completely resetting hard drives
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
    The steps you took are fine...are you saying it's in the new PC now ? ?

If you havent done so yet 1 additional step you can take in Setup is delete the partition on the SSD...then format...then install.

You would need Abbey from NCIS to get any data back after that...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:04:40 PM »
    Best method is to use a Linux based Live OS Disc or USB stick and scrub the drive.

However since you are keeping this computer and not selling it or giving it away etc, scrubbing the drives before a rebuild like this is kind of overkill unless your hard drive was hit with a MBR type virus or something that is difficult to remove.

Here is the Linux methods: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-remove-all-partitions-data-empty-disk/

Booting off of a live Linux install off a CD, DVD, or USB stick you can target the mounted hard drive or SSD and run it through a scrubbing.

Desting

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »

If you havent done so yet 1 additional step you can take in Setup is delete the partition on the SSD...then format...then install.

The reason why I got a new PC in the first place is because I have had problems with my current one for a long time (close to 2 years), and I am not sure what's the problem. I believe (and hope) it's not my SSD or HD.

No, I dont have my new PC yet. I will get the components that I need to build it tommorow, so I wanted to make sure before I use my current (old) SSD and HD that they would contain no malicious software or anything.

I thought I would delete the partition if I did a format on the drive?

Best method is to use a Linux based Live OS Disc or USB stick and scrub the drive.

However since you are keeping this computer and not selling it or giving it away etc, scrubbing the drives before a rebuild like this is kind of overkill unless your hard drive was hit with a MBR type virus or something that is difficult to remove.

Here is the Linux methods: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-remove-all-partitions-data-empty-disk/

Booting off of a live Linux install off a CD, DVD, or USB stick you can target the mounted hard drive or SSD and run it through a scrubbing.

Two questions: First, do I require a disc to do this? Second, will it work for Windows?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »
      This topic has been considered before.
      Here is an article from the CH archives.
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000186.htm
      How to erase my hard drive and start over

The idea also would apply to SSD.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »
      Two questions: First, do I require a disc to do this? Second, will it work for Windows?

It would require a disc or USB stick to go the route of Linux. Linux would need to be burned/copied to the media to be bootable. Reason why its not done in Windows is because Windows would reside on a drive and if that drive you want to wipe clean, Windows doesnt allow for suicide to its own data this way. Parts of the hard drive where swap space is happening with Windows and other sections that are in-use will not allow removal. Booting off of Linux frees up all HDD/SSD drives to be wiped without the Windows OS needing to run on them. Windows would not be running with the Linux approach. No malware would have the protection of itself under windows to prevent from getting wiped as well as for you just turned the tables on the malware that needs Windows to function. With Windows not running the drives are fair game to scrub.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
      A spare hard drive is an important tool for any Do It yourself  computer  hobby.
      I strongly urge him to get a spare HDD.
      On eBay one can find a new 80 GB hard drive for $40 or less.
      A 80 GB drive is more that enough for a full Windows system and some programs and data. What takes up space are the home videos. These can be saved in MP4 format and put onto DVDs.

Desting

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »
        I have an external HD, but it says it cannot store an OS on it...

Desting

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »

What/where is Setup?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
          I have an external HD, but it says it cannot store an OS on it...
          Get an spare  HDD and mount it inside your Desktop PC. In the BIOS setup there is an option to boot from the second hard drive. You can install Windows on a second hard drive if the BIOS will allow it.

The spare HDD is more cost-effective as alternative boot for your PC.

Actually  it is possible a USB connected HDD as a boot devise.
          http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7-to-usb-external-hard-drive-must-read/
          Even though Windows recognizes and displays the USB hard drive in the installation screen, it doesn’t allow you install Windows on the same. When you attempt to install Windows 7 on external drive, you get “Windows cannot be installed to this disk” error.
          The article describes a work around. It requires additional materiel for Windows 7 installation.  (Windows Automated Installation Kit .)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
          Just for clarification the steps i listed above...which can all be done from Windows Setup are more than adequate...
          If you wanna do overkill etc. from bootdisks etc . thats up to you...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:25:54 AM »
          Just for clarification the steps i listed above...which can all be done from Windows Setup are more than adequate...
          If you wanna do overkill etc. from bootdisks etc . thats up to you...

I agree with Patio on this one. That wiping of the hard drive and SSD beyond common means of a format and reinstall of Windows is kinda overkill. I shared what I did just to give you an understanding of options. However which path you take is up to you. For the fact that this computer is yours and not going to anyone else, its kinda overkill to scrub the drives as deeply as a boot disk and a scrub tool. If you were building it up to sell to someone then by all means scrub it as much as you want with better than just a format. I retain my hard drives and get a cheap different drive to install and build from when selling used computers to people. Drives are cheaper than trying to clean up identity theft is the basis for why I dont give systems away with drives in them that I had personal info on.

Just for clarification on this part:
          Windows doesnt allow for suicide to its own data this way. Parts of the hard drive where swap space is happening with Windows and other sections that are in-use will not allow removal.

If your trying to do this after Windows is running and try to erase it from the drive that is active with it, you will hit a roadblock. BUT if you boot from the Windows installation Disc you have the option in the installation to wipe the drives clean or perform a repair type of installation where your data remains but Windows is a clean repaired install. Windows if it detects old windows installed will change the C:\Windows folder to C:\Windows.old and then install clean to C:\Windows

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
            • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
          « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »
          You only need to use proper "data shredding" applications if you need to make the data unrecoverable, i.e. if you are disposing of/selling/giving away the machine and/or drive.  If you are keeping the drive yourself then there is no harm in simply formatting it and reinstalling the OS.

Cleof

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »
            The reason why I got a new PC in the first place is because I have had problems with my current one for a long time (close to 2 years), and I am not sure what's the problem. I believe (and hope) it's not my SSD or HD.

No, I dont have my new PC yet. I will get the components that I need to build it tommorow, so I wanted to make sure before I use my current (old) SSD and HD that they would contain no malicious software or anything.

I thought I would delete the partition if I did a format on the drive?

I read an article on how to move os to new hard drive, I hope it can help you as well. Be careful using the way to delete the partition or format it, as the operation is irreversible, an error may cause data lost.