Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where to put app on LG smartphone  (Read 2733 times)

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Where to put app on LG smartphone
    « on: December 06, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »
    I have a LG smartphone on android I am trying to install an app I have downloaded the app to my computer now the fun part when I transfer to LG phone in downloads or pictures I can not see it , is there a better place to install an app as it seems if you can find the app from the phone it is suppose to install itself? This is a Verizon LG phone can't go to Verizon to get code as you need a phone number this device is new has no phone number. I received a sim card from another provider but just installing it does not make it work wonder if will ever get this phone to work! Also the file I am trying copy to phone is a APK file. I also have checked under security unknown sources box.
    « Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:53:14 PM by John1397 »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Where to put app on LG smartphone
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:47:35 AM »
    Google Play Store is where I get all my apps. https://play.google.com/store?hl=en

Have you checked to see if you can get the app through google store?

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:50:13 AM »
    Typically, when you download an APK file to your phone, you'll receive a notification that the file was downloaded and you can then "Open" the file from within the notification message.  The default action when you "Open" an APK file is to install it. 

If you can get a file system explorer app installed such as ES File Explorer, you can do a search for apk files to find the one you're looking for.  Do you have a Google account that you can use to access Google Play?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
    So, you have a new phone from Verizon but you don't have a phone # activated for it yet.   You will be getting a phone # activated for your phone, right?  If not, what were you thinking when you bought the phone?  If so, then wait until you get the phone # activated and get your phone working with your Verizon service and then you can go to Google Play Store and download and install the app. 

Edit: I just read your discussion at http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,159000.0.html and found some interesting comments there about ways to use a smartphone other than for phone calls.  So, now I think I see why you bought the phone but are not using it as a phone. 

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
      So, you have a new phone from Verizon but you don't have a phone # activated for it yet.   You will be getting a phone # activated for your phone, right?   

Yes I have new Verizon phone never been activated thru Verizon , I have sim from another carrier and and app to make it work. I downloaded the app and copy from my computer to phone and using file manager was able to find it and is installed on phone. The phone does not work on new carrier but this may be because I am downstairs and to far from cell tower as if no signal it would not work. Does data and talk on a cell phone all originate from the same signal meaning if the phone works then data also has to work?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »
      Yes...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »
      Unless connected via wifi then data is routed via wifi.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
      Can you return the phone if  you can get it to work?
      Often phones at low prices are to be used only on one carrier. So when you shop for a phone, check to  see if it can be used on another service.
      For future reference, this might be what you need:
      https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/BYO-Phone-Wireless-Carriers-Comparison
      Keeping your phone and switching carriers is an easy way to save money. And, it is easy than ever. If you have an unlocked device from Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T or Verizon can compare the pre-filtered carrier options below to view a variety of carriers. Most customers who switch see immediate savings on their monthly bill without sacrificing call and network quality. ... 

Many of these are small firms you have never heard about. They use the same towers that the big  boys use. So you do have a choice.
      Another:
      https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone
      Yest another:
      http://get.tracfone.com/bring-your-own-phone/
      The catch keyword is BYOP  (Bring Your Own Phone.)
      Google BYOP
      EDIT: Forgot to mention. a Universal SIM Card Kit can be purchased from a number of vendors.
      IMO, paying $10 for one is too much. At Walmart they are under $4.

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 06:27:29 PM »
        If phone is locked or not makes not much difference if it is made to work on only one carrier same as locked.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »
        John1397,
        You want to get a phone that is unlocked. That way you can take advantage of new offers for better/cheaper service.

jaishree

• HostStud
        « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
        I have a LG smartphone on android I am trying to install an app I have downloaded the app to my computer now the fun part when I transfer to LG phone in downloads or pictures I can not see it , is there a better place to install an app as it seems if you can find the app from the phone it is suppose to install itself? This is a Verizon LG phone can't go to Verizon to get code as you need a phone number this device is new has no phone number. I received a sim card from another provider but just installing it does not make it work wonder if will ever get this phone to work! Also the file I am trying copy to phone is a APK file. I also have checked under security unknown sources box.

You can directly download and install app through Google Play Store OR if it not available on Play store you can directly download it on your phone and install it manually. You have to check box "Allow installations from unknown sources".