Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: lost notepad on XP  (Read 9296 times)

spookn

lost notepad on XP
« on: August 30, 2004, 05:38:57 PM »
It was there a couple days ago! now when i go to start-programs-accessories-notepad I get:
" The C:\WINDOWS\system32\crss.exe application can not be run in Win32 mode"
If I tried to open a saved notepad text file, I would get the standard browse for it window, that says it can't be found.
Question is? How do I get it back? And if you know, where did it go?
Thanks a million
B

Raptor

Re: lost notepad on XP
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 05:16:51 AM »
Did you run any scanners that may have removed files that were marked as spyware, trojans or viruses?

spookn

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 05:33:09 AM »
Ahhhh, funny you should mention that :-)
My browser recently got hijacked, and what a wonderful thing that is, and maybe some day some one could explain that to me. I mean, if you hijack my PC, do you really think I'll buy something form you? Its nuts!
Sorry, so, yes to your question, and I run a few spyware app's. afaware,spybot,spyblaster,hijack remover, so it could have been any one of them.
Shouldn't i be able to pluk notepad off the XP CD?
thanks for the help

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 05:35:24 AM »
My browser recently got hijacked, and what a wonderful thing that is, and maybe some day some one could explain that to me. I mean, if you hijack my PC, do you really think I'll buy something form you?

You'd be suprised how many people think they are going to get rid of the pyware by buying something.

I donot know if Notepad can be found on the XP CD-ROM, you may have to do it this way:

Go to Add/Remove software and choose the 'Add Optional Windows components' tab you may be able to untag and then tag the Windows pad again so it reinstalls.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 05:35:44 AM by Raptor »

spookn

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 05:37:58 AM »
actualy that sounds better
thanks, i will let ya know how it goes
B