Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer locks up....  (Read 50383 times)

kati_jo

Re: Computer locks up....
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2004, 01:51:40 PM »
is the graphics driver from Nvidia different than the driver from windows update?

merlin_2

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2004, 02:06:21 PM »
some one told me that its best to download nvida drivers from nvida and not m$oft...something to do will digital signed infomation vague?...you should really download >http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/belarc_download.asp  as it will give us more info on your system and may also tell you what the problem is....if you know someone or you can do it yourself without hurting yourself...remove the graphics card<nvida>...the on board graphics will take over..it has  preference over plug-in video-cards..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 02:07:31 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2004, 04:03:42 PM »
It most likely is an outdated version.

If you upgrade your videocard, always download drivers straight off the manufacturer.

kati_jo

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2004, 05:34:05 PM »
Okay...here is what I have:
Processor                
1.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drives              
40.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
36.17 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
ATAPI DVD-ROM STAR2000 [CD-ROM drive]
LG CD-RW CED-8080B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy driveWDC WD400BB-75AUA1 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA6R1347325, rev 18.20D18, SMART Status: Healthy

Main Circuit Board
      Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. TUV4X REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS TUV4X ACPI BIOS Revision 1003 10/24/2001

Memory Modules
256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM 3' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM 4' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes: c: (on drive 0)       40.02 GB       36.17 GB free

I hope that is what you needed.  
Now, If I take the video card out...will this thing still work?

Also.....I downloaded the Nvidia driver directly from thier site....doesnt work.  Once it is installed windows wont load,  It goes into a continuous cycle of re-starting.  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 07:03:04 PM by kati_jo »

merlin_2

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2004, 02:29:55 AM »
go in to safe mode f8 ...keep tapping it..and then go to the control panel/system/advanced/settings >startup and recovery>/system failure/uncheck-automatically restart......reboot pc...try that...if no improvement and you are getting bsod either remove the card from the device manager and reboot..then shutdown...then re-boot then replace the graphics card.....patience is needed in doing this one can only try one can...

Raptor

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2004, 04:18:02 AM »
If you take out the videocard, you will have to no visual and your computer will most likely play a few beeps to let you know.

kati_jo

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2004, 11:02:37 AM »
Merlin....are you saying to physically remove the actual card or just from the device  manager?  the other thing....would a video card cause the problem I am having?  I just dont even know if that is the issue....I am not having any luck

merlin_2

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2004, 12:38:49 PM »
 graphics card>ok remove it the device manager and re-boot it may work?when you pc locks up does the apply to your mouse/ keyboard...? did you ever get to look in the events error log..control panel/ admin tools?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 01:01:48 PM by merlin_2 »

Mac

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2004, 01:06:56 PM »
Memory Modules  
256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM 3' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM 4' is Empty

Looks like you have a proper Windows Professional computer as well.

With four DIMM slots you can usually fit 4 x 1024Mb RAM modules, i.e. 4·0Gb.

With only 256Mb fitted I can say that you are FAR TOO LOW on RAM!

I find that 512Mb is OK for running XP Home but with your setup I would take the 256Mb module out and replace it with a 1024Mb module.

You can check your computer out at the Crucial site http://www.crucial.com

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 01:24:11 PM by Mac »

Mac

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2004, 01:17:56 PM »
It would help to know the make and model of your computer.

Also when you right-click your My Computer icon and open the properties box does it show 256Mb of RAM or is it less? 192Mb for example.

kati_jo

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2004, 11:29:37 PM »
Merlin...when it locks up.....EVERYTHING freezes.  No mouse no keyboard no anything.

Mac...it says 256...it is a Dell Intell Pentium III

merlin_2

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2004, 01:19:31 AM »
ok it does seems to point to the graphics card ...it might be faulty...try another one if you can...or roll back the driver for it? the bsod stop  message do you get them ..and dont let this pc defeat you....also you can try this go in to the bios and chose setup defaults...save and exit...can you disconnect one of your hard drives...keep the original one?another process of elimination...my thoughts on this are either the ram ...or graphics card...test your ram try this >http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 01:27:21 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2004, 05:41:50 AM »
Better to uninstall the current drivers and install updated ones.

kati_jo

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2004, 02:39:54 AM »
Okay...when I try to install the current driver for the Nvidia, it really messes things up.  if I un-install the current drivers will I be able to see to get to the site to try and download the new ones?   I downloaded the new Service pack 2 from MS last night and I had the same issues I get when I install the Nvidia.  The computer wont completely load windows.  It goes to the black screen where it says loading....and then the screen goes to blue where the log in options are....but before it completely loads, it restarts.  I have gone and unchecked the automatically restart button but it makes no difference.

Raptor

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2004, 04:10:17 AM »
Service Pack 2 has, from what I heard, quite a few compatability issues. I think it is better to uninstall it.

If you uninstall videocard driver, you will still be able to view things but they will go slower and the resolution may be lower.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 04:10:38 AM by Raptor »