Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Before you Buy a phone, chick if 4 G LTE  (Read 3240 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Before you Buy a phone, chick if 4 G LTE
« on: December 20, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
Before you buy another phone, check it for  4 G LTE ability.
"But I don't care, it is just for talking", you say.
Wrong. In some placers you might not get reception if you phone is not up to the new standard of 4 G LTE.
Here is an article by Verizon. Other carriers are going the same route. They favor the new 4 G LTE over the older service types.
What is 4G LTE and Why it Matters.
Being the fastest network available means download speeds four to five times faster than 3G networks, which rivals some home broadband connections. The real hook, though, is the fact that consumers don’t have to be at home to appreciate these speeds. Consumers can access the internet wherever there is coverage with any 4G-enabled device, including smartphones, tablets and mobile hotspots
That means the newer technology works better even if you only need to make a phone call.  Read the article.  :)

I was taking to my carrier today about a temporary n outage in my area and he told me the old phone I was using might have been a factor.  :(
And he kindly told me my phone will not work in this area next month.  :o

John1397

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Before you Buy a phone, chick if 4 G LTE
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:58:37 PM »
    I bought a  Verizon phone says 4g on the back cover if you give AT & T the imie number they say it is a 2g phone.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Before you Buy a phone, chick if 4 G LTE
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
    John1397,
    Your story is believable. A  quick search on Google shows many people are not sure if the phone they have is really 4 G or just plain old 3G.
    Here sis a recent remark:
    https://support.vikingco.com/hc/en-us/articles/202836011-How-do-I-know-whether-my-device-supports-4G-
    The Telenet Group network currently uses a frequency of 1800 MHz. Therefore, make sure that your device also supports this frequency - especially if you want to buy your device abroad. You will find the frequencies of your device under device specifications, in the manual or on the manufacturer's website.
    The telecom industry is in a state of change. So the consumer has to pay attention to the details.
    I bought a nice tablet phone that I want to use an found that it was  not 4G. So I have put this post here to let others know you have to  check  carefully. You may find carriers selling new phones that are not 4G LTE.
    Another quote:
    . Buying an expensive phone and later on find out that it does not support the latest technologies could be very disappointing. But assuming that you have already bought a phone, how would you know if your phone is 4G enabled? This question often crops up in the mind of mobile phone users. Nowadays, a lot of people want to upgrade their mobile Internet connection from 3G to 4G. But to enjoy the speed of 4G on your mobile phone, you must have a handset that supports 4G networks.
    http://techwelkin.com/check-your-phone-4g-enabled-ready