Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having trouble with software in LED Message Badge  (Read 5728 times)

Typo96

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Having trouble with software in LED Message Badge
    « on: December 26, 2016, 02:50:09 AM »
    Alright, so one of the gifts I got for Christmas was an LED Message Badge from Typo & Co. I opened it out of the box today, and it comes with a USB Cable, an LED badge and a micro USB.

I inserted the micro USB, which supposedly has the program necessary for customizing messages for the LED badge, and the first thing I notice is that the manual says I need to open a folder titled "MiniLED Display V9.92", which did not appear on the micro USB. So I thought to myself; maybe it's in one of the other folders (there's a few of them on this micro USB), so I looked around for a bit and suddenly Windows Defender quarantines a bunch of important files and claims it's malware.

I go into Windows Defender, check the "History" and see that there is a detected item:

* Worm:Win32/Tufik.A

And the detection date corresponds precisely with the time I inserted the micro USB.

I did a Google Search of "Tufik.A" and found that it is a Trojan Downloader:

(http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tufik.A)

Surely Typo & Co. did not install malware into this product, but it still concerns me. I'm clueless as to what I am supposed to do at this point. I haven't touched anything else since, and I have unplugged the micro USB. As for the files that were quarantined form said micro USB, they seem to be completely gone, and it doesn't look like there are any patches on the web.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

And Merry Christmas to all, hope everybody had a wonderful time!  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Having trouble with software in LED Message Badge
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:38:49 AM »
    I'd make contact with Typo & Co and see what they have to share on this issue.

Its also not completely impossible for malware to be bundled with software from a manufacturer. At an employer of mine ( cant go into details as to which employer and which vendor gave us the worm infection as for I am sworn to confidentiality ), we got hit with conficker from a software update from a vendor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

99.9% of the time its just a false positive. But I dont suggest shutting off your antivirus to get it to work. I'd seriously have Typo & Co assist with this. Maybe their website has a newer version of the software as well. Its not uncommon for a product to be rushed out the door and then a bug pop up in which an updated version is created to fix the bug.

There is a software that I use on a regular basis called IMGBurn that flags as infected which is a somewhat false positive and I had to make an exception to allow it. During installation it can trick people into installing other bundleware and that is why it was flagged due to deceptive installer. But the software for me when installed carefully to avoid the bundled junk works with no problems and after installed there is no malware or anything sneaky going on with it. There are others out there other than IMGBurn that do the same thing, but IMGBurn for me does what i need it to and does it well for the ISOs that I work with.

Typo96

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Having trouble with software in LED Message Badge
      « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 11:19:01 PM »
      I remember Conficker, I actually remember someone else I knew who got infected with it around the time it was spread over the internet. Really, quite devastating. :/

I also had in mind that it's likely a false-positive, but since I saw Windows Defender point out the name of an identified Trojan, now I'm curious. I'll call Typo & Co. sometime today and inform them on this. See if I can resolve the issue. I'll post back here with updates as soon as I can.

Thank you for your input, DaveLembke. Much appreciated. :)