Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Runtime Broker  (Read 7112 times)

GQ

Topic Starter

Rookie

Runtime Broker
    « on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:35 AM »
    In Windows 10 it seems like a lot of people including me are having a problem with Runtime Broker using a LOT of CPU and slowing down the computer.
    Anyone here having problems with it?

Salmon Trout

Re: Runtime Broker
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:29:58 AM »
    Not me. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit upgraded to Windows 10 pro. At this time Process Explorer show it having 0.00% CPU and 11.5 MB memory.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »
    Have you seen this at Microsoft Community (29 July)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/runtime-broker-high-cpu-usage/4302a4dd-44c1-474e-8e6a-3c00889c65a7?auth=1

"Runtime Broker high CPU usage"

Issue:

A process called Runtime Broker has a high CPU usage in Windows 10 (final release version).

Cause:

Unknown, there seem to be multiple causes and multiple solutions. May be related to OneDrive, permissions for metro apps, Background Task Infrastructure Service, Windows spotlight thingy, windows tips and a number of other apps.

Solutions that work for some:

Registry hack: run regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker, change "Start"=dword:00000003 to dword:00000004. This will affect parts of Cortana, like new apps not showing up and you can't set reminders. After a while, I set the value back to 3 and it's still fixed.
        Switch your lock screen background (Settings -> Personalization -> Lock Screen) from Windows Spotlight to Picture. Preferably but not necessarily a picture of a ninja cat on a dinosaur ;-) Additionally disable the live tile of your photo app by right clicking on it.
        Settings -> System -> Notifications -> Disable "Show Windows Tips"

If these don't work, your odds of finding a fix have dropped considerably, but you could try:

Deleted Groove music using powershell. Used these commands: Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" | Remove-AppxPackage     Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Music.Preview" | Remove-AppxPackage    (To bring up powershell, press win+r and type powershell. Hit enter, copy and paste one at a time).
        Disable/delete OneDrive / SkyDrive
        Disable Google Drive if you use it
        Close all programs and restart them one by one to try to find the culprit, uninstall the culprit. Yes, we're in the desperate stage.
        Do a full refresh of Windows 10. But note: many people have the problem persist, even after a vanilla install of Windows 10.
        Send MS an angry e-mail. Wait for them not to respond. Throw a brick through the Windows(R) of your local MS office. Won't fix the problem, will fix your frustration for a while.

Most Helpful Reply
    JO
    Jony8086 replied on

This is what fixed it for me.

Go to Settings -> System -> Notifications -> Disable "Show Windows Tips"
    50 people found this helpful

GQ

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
      Yes I read that. Looks like a major problem for Microsoft.
      I bet many people that are not that savy about computers have no idea why Windows 10 is so slow.
      I found that when I leave the computer unatended for some time Runtime Broker will be running on my return.
      At times it will be using 75% of CPU slowing things down to a crawl. I have to manualy shut it down.
      If they cant fix it I will have to go back to 7.  :'(

daniel9

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:29:37 AM »
        In Windows 10 it seems like a lot of people including me are having a problem with Runtime Broker using a LOT of CPU and slowing down the computer.
        Anyone here having problems with it?

I know this topic is too old but now I'm getting a problem with Runtime Broker. It's hogging my CPU resource, up to 50 % even when I don't run any programs.

Is there any way I can diagnose or find out what is the cause behind this?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 06:33:17 AM »

daniel9

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 02:53:34 AM »
          Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me to fix it.

Instead, this one helped me to get off of this high CPU usage problem.

Just need to turn off the updates from more than one place in Update & security -> Advanced options.
          « Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:59:05 AM by Allan »