Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to load windows to a 200gb HD.  (Read 4412 times)

pete24574

Trying to load windows to a 200gb HD.
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:00:27 AM »
I have got an Advent 3209 pc with a 40gb master and 30gb slave drive.

I have recently bought a 200gb samsung HD and although I can successfully set this up to be the slave drive, I am having problems installing windows on it to make it the master.

I have disconnected all of the other drives and only have the 200gb one installed and the jumper settings are set as the master.  I do not have a stand alone copy of windows XP as the PC came with recovery disks that install it.

When I try to run the recovery disks on the 200gb HD I get a "cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT" error after a few seconds.  It then states Internal error 27049 An internal inconsistency has been detected.

I have successfully used the recovery CD's before so I don't think it is a problem with that.  I also thought that the 200gb drive may be too big so I have partioned it.

Any help at installing windows onto this would be greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Trying to load windows to a 200gb HD.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 12:22:35 PM »
Problem is that it's looking for the Ghost images that are stored probably on a hidden partition on the original boot drive...
Why not re-introduce the master and hook up the 200 as slave and use the disk utilities that shipped with the drive to clone the original HDD to the 200G ? ?

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pete24574

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 01:56:31 PM »
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 02:07:51 PM »
More info on system pete.....

Was this pc  bought from a store? limitations may apply to mobo used?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 04:30:48 PM »
More info on system pete.....

Was this pc  bought from a store? limitations may apply to mobo used?

HUH ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

royphil345

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 04:04:25 AM »
The restore disk will probably not install after any hardware changes are detected to prevent installing the wrong drivers with the wrong hardware.

Installing to your old drive and cloning to the new drive may not work either. Windows will try to start up with drivers already installed for the wrong hard drive. I recently tried cloning 1 drive to another and it didn't work for that reason. If the drives are similar, it may work. wouldn't work going from a Seagate 80GB EIDE to a WD 250GB SATA. A stand alone copy of XP may be required.

pete24574

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 06:15:47 AM »
Thanks for all of your help.

I've now decided to leave my original drive as the Master and have the 200gb drive as the slave.  This is currently working fine so I don't really want to mess about with it any more.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 02:47:17 PM »
The wiser choice!

Mac

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 02:05:53 AM »
Definitely the best choice.

I remember asking the industry if they would supply all Desktops with a high performance Master 20 GB drive and allow the customer to choose the size of the storage drive.

I also asked if all XP computers could come prepared to use 4 x 1024 MB RAM modules and be fitted with 1 x 1024 MB as a starting level so as to reduce parts, manufacture, tooling and handling costs to give the consumer a good deal.

Nada.  >:(

Dell4700

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 06:02:53 AM »
I remember asking the industry if they would supply all Desktops with a high performance Master 20 GB drive and allow the customer to choose the size of the storage drive.

It's a great idea!  But, anyone want to lay odds on how much room the next couple of operating systems are gonna need?  Remember when 100 mb or less was enough for your windows OS and all your programs?  20 gb may not be enough in the future!

I also asked if all XP computers could come prepared to use 4 x 1024 MB RAM modules and be fitted with 1 x 1024 MB as a starting level so as to reduce parts, manufacture, tooling and handling costs to give the consumer a good deal.

Another great idea!  In fact, that was how my latest PC was equipped when new.

Dell