Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internal capture card help  (Read 2626 times)

Gustavo Woltmann

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    internal capture card help
    « on: January 29, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
    I'm looking for a internal capture card, price don't matter. Recording preference in 1080p 60fps - 4k.

Any suggestion would be nice.

Thanks!

-Gustavo Woltmann

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: internal capture card help
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
    One thing to consider is that while a capture card does a lot on its own, it requires some system resources = CPU and Memory Load plus a lot of bandwidth for writing of data such as a dedicated drive or pair of drives acting as RAID 0 for maximum HDD performance.

What system are you going to be installing this card into? And would it make sense to have a second computer acting like a DVR so that the performance of your gaming system isnt hindered by having to capture the video and write it to drive while at the same time juggling the gameplay?

I havent personally captured at 1080p and 60fps - 4k, but I use a software called FRAPS for recording my video game play and then I use VirtualDUB to take a large 25GB recording and size it down to like 1.2GB to post to Youtube for guild members to check out the nail biting moments and miracle moments or total wipes when we all die. The quality of my videos are what is common for youtube. Text chat on the crushed video is a little fuzzy but the gameplay is crisp enough to enjoy without saying wow its blurry etc. According to a Google search it looks like FRAPS can do 1080p 60fps, but FRAPS does load down your CPU and HDD. I use it with a system with a SSD and a HDD and the game is running on the SSD and the HDD is used for the heavy write cycling of the FRAPS recording as well as the crushing of it down to 1.2GB from 25GB without overworking the SSD because I want my SSD to last vs be overworked. If you have a high end gaming system, FRAPS might be able to work hand in hand with your gameplay without lagging out your system and save you money from not having to buy a capture card or not having to build a system up to act like a DVR. Here is the google results for the 1080p 60fps https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fraps+1080p+60fps

I have used FRAPS with my older Athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz Corsair 4GB DDR2 800Mhz XMS2 and GeForce 260 GTX 768MB video card and  120GB SSD SATA II and SATA II 500GB HDD and my recordings are 45-50 fps with this older system (but not 1080p). I then set VirtualDUB to crush the video file and let my system run full tilt while I sleep to convert the video from say 25GB to 1.2GB AVI file to then upload it to youtube the next day. VirtualDUB is free and FRAPS just cost me for a single license and it has lifetime patch/updates, so I can go to website and download latest version and get newest features for free since I already own a single license of it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
    Dave, my presumption here would be that the capture card is intended for recording the output from a game console, rather than from the PC, as a capture card is intended for recording external output sources.

of course, that assumes they are aware of that distinction!
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »
    Good Point BC... I had tunnel thought earlier that it was PC recording vs other video devices. If its a console system then FRAPS isnt a valid solution and a capture card needed, so what they are capturing matters.