Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Won't boot after installing USB2 card  (Read 2503 times)

Country_Bumpkin

Won't boot after installing USB2 card
« on: December 04, 2005, 01:38:48 AM »
I purchased a USB2 card from a reputable high st source. As per intructions I opened the case installed the card into a pci slot closed the case and switched on. The pc won't boot up from there. It starts to run windows xp then stops and trys again. Foolishly perhaps I purchased another card from another source andthis card has the same effect. If I switch off and remove the USB2 card the PC boots up as normal. The drivers for both cards are meant to be installed after fitting the card but I can't get that far. Any ideas please.
Thanks
Mark

Dell4700

Re: Won't boot after installing USB2 card
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 04:47:26 AM »
Some general comments for your general problem.
It's not likely that both USB-2 PCI cards are bad, so suspect your system or your installation.

- try another PCI slot.  If it works, then your original slot/circuit is bad.

- go into your Bios and make sure PnP is active and you aren't restricting any auto reconfiguration of your Mobo.

- check your card and make sure it's seated properly.  Don't connect any USB devices to your new card until you have your drivers loaded.

Give us some more detail if you want a more detailed answer.  The above is more or less guesswork.

Dell

uisquebeathus

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:45:57 AM »
re motherboard and computer what kind is it and how old?
the pci slots can have differant use and power supply settings in the bios check with the board web site.

Country_Bumpkin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 05:43:45 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't know what I was doing wrong last time but I have just succesfully installed the card I purchased second. Which leads me to believe that the first one was at fault. Can't understand why it didn't work first time because I've not changed anything. I had tried both cards in all available pci slots and it wouldn't boot. The only thing I did do was increase hardware accelleration in display but this wouldn't make a difference would it. That setting is only for vga devices isn't it.
Anyway thanks again for your help
Mark