Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New build won't power on at all  (Read 2718 times)

alexanderthedecent

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    New build won't power on at all
    « on: March 11, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
    I've read through multiple troubleshooting blogs and haven't come up with an answer.  I built my PC and can't get any power at all.  Here's a link to my complete build parts - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JXVy9W

The 6 pronged PCI-E cord goes in, then there's 2 empty slots, I have a feeling this is the problem.  I've re-built it already to make sure everything's plugged in, I just don't know what else to do.  I'm trying to post a picture with this but the file is too big.

alexanderthedecent

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: New build won't power on at all
      « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
      Here's a few pics

http://imgur.com/sLiNcOI

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: New build won't power on at all
      « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
      The photo isn't particularly clear but I'd make sure to double check the connection to your graphics card as well as the 8pin connector in the top left of your motherboard.  The PSU you have provides a pair of "6+2" PCI-E power connectors, this means you have a 6 pin connector and then another 2 pins hanging off of that.  As your video card requires an 8pin connector you should take one of those connectors, put the other 2 pins onto the side of the 6pin one and connect it to the card to ensure all 8 connectors are filled.  Your PSU should then have a 8pin CPU power connector which should be able to be separated into a pair of 4pin connectors, you need to connect the full 8 pins of this to the CPU power connector in the top left of the board.

When doing this, make absolutely sure that you don't end up connecting a "6+2" PCI-E connector to the motherboard or the 8pin CPU power to the video card, the connectors are slightly different but can sometimes fit if you force them, they aren't wired the same so connecting them the wrong way around risks damaging your board and/or video card.

If this still fails, it would be ideal if you could upload several high resolution photos of the connectors in the top left of the board and on the video card.  It's also worth checking the connector from the power switch is on the correct pins as this is quite easy to get wrong.