Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: First Build ever, Need in-depth help/suggestions/etc..  (Read 2495 times)

Nekonected

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    First Build ever, Need in-depth help/suggestions/etc..
    « on: March 30, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
    Hey everyone, To increase readability and more in-depth details, I'm making this forum post to get some help with a build i've been looking into and i desperately need help with it, since its my first time building a pc.

Let's start with some basic information, What I have already, and what i'm looking to do with this computer.

What I want to use it for:
    • Music Production (Ableton Live 9, Fl Studio)
    • Video Editing (Adobe)
    • Photoshop/Illustrator
    • Gaming (High Graphics , Steady and nice FPS)
    • A bit of Live-Streaming and Recording
    I'd love to have a PC that will Work for a LONG time. Like minimum 5 years. I also think its important I have enough CPU for my music production and video rendering.

Budget:
    1500-1600$ Max.

I'm looking to build and get the parts in BELGIUM. From http://www.alternate.be.
    Please note that in my country , parts cost a lot more than in the US.

Basic Build i'm looking advice for:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dqjsBP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List Of Questions I have:
    • As i've gone around. A Lot of people have been recommending me the Ryzen 1700, Due to its 8 cores being "better" at Streaming + Gaming, and multipurpose actions. So its a battle vs Ryzen 1700 or i7-7700K, which should I put in the build, and why?
    • Some people have been saying to remove the 4,2Ghz i7-7700K and the CPU Cooler, and instead get the 3,6Ghz version with Build-In Cooler. Would that be viable, better, or not?
    • The MSI Motherboard and MSI Video Card , replace it or keep it? Is there something better, is MSI not that good? (Someone recommended ASUS instead)
    • The RAM Included is maybe not the best for the price and I could have better for the same price, some said, What should I Replace it with?
    • Is it worth buying the 960 EVO SSD, Or should i go for an Samsung 850 Evo, Or a Crucial MX300?
    • Is the HDD Included good or is there something better for the same/lower price with the same Space?
    • Is there a cheaper/better option for the Power Supply, or is it good?
    • Any Recommendations for the Case?

Now This should be about it, any questions are welcome and I hope you guys can help me out!
    Full Build recommendations are also welcome but i guess it'd come on about the same thing as i have here!

Nekonected

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: First Build ever, Need in-depth help/suggestions/etc..
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »
    Let me ask you some questions. Specifically about how much it costs to import stuff.
    Look here:
    http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-aurora-r6-desktop?dgc=BA&cid=308197&lid=5828362&acd=12309230325278670c101439573&ven3=265003759616214437
    The above has DELL prices base on USA purchase of Alienware. No, i am not recommended you buy a ready made.DELL. But what would be the cost of having something like that shipped to your region? That will help estmate the cost of parts.
    Also, does you region has some more economical way of getting stuff  into the country?  Does anybody in your family work for any Ambassador of another country?  Or does anybody in your family work for any company that does importation?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: First Build ever, Need in-depth help/suggestions/etc..
    « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »
    You may benefit from Ryzen for that use-case. Ryzen has slightly less single core performance but has twice the cores of the 7700K. It also should be cheaper. More Cores means you can more easily Render with FL Studio or Video Editors in the background while still using other programs at full speed. Of course switching the build to Ryzen would mean a different motherboard as well.

960 Evo is a good choice, since that motherboard has M.2 slots. (if you were to switch to Ryzen AM4 motherboards seem to have at least one as well). Samsung tends to have some of the best SSDs so you can't go wrong with them.

Talk to 5 different people and you are likely to get 5 different recommendations for motherboard brands. For example I've always use Gigabyte motherboards where possible. A lot of people hold MSI in low regard because many years ago they were a low-end, cheap brand, like eMachines. However they've been relatively high-end for the last decade or so, and I'd expect they now have reliability at least on par with other reliable motherboard manufacturers.

You can get cheaper RAM, but it means either using 4 4GB sticks, which means upgrading Memory later is somewhat wasteful and more expensive (you have to buy a whole new kit rather than add another 2x8GB sticks), or it means using less reliable, cheaper brands which probably aren't worth it.

The Seagate Barracuda drive looks to be an older model, more importantly, it is a model that has known firmware problems which lead to it inevitably failing relatively quickly. I had a 1.5TB model and it died after 3 years. This is probably why the price dropped. Might be worth swappiing in a different drive, or even a different model.

Power supply is a good choice. You would be able to use a 650 Watt model without issues, I expect. And of course there are non-modular models that are cheaper but are less pleasant to work with in the case with their permanently attached Cthulhu of wires.

For the case That one looks like it should be relatively good to work with internally.
    You can get cheaper cases but the problem is once you start going to cheap the case reflects that; sharp pointy sheet metal pieces which bend easily, screw holes that don't quite line up aren't uncommon.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.