Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 5.25" FDD 34 pin PCB - trying to connect to my HP laptop USB  (Read 3421 times)

timb

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    5.25" FDD 34 pin PCB - trying to connect to my HP laptop USB
    « on: April 26, 2017, 08:21:21 AM »
    I don't know if what I am trying to accomplish is even possible?   I bought an old Toshiba 5.25"/360KB FDD off Amazon.  It has a 34-pin connector port on the PCB edge, with a notch after the first 4 pins.  And there is a 4-pin power connector.  I have a ton of old floppy disks from the 80s (college) that have some files that I would like to recover.  (Probably should have done this 20 years ago when these drives were still supported).  I can't seem to find any data cables that will connect to the 34-pin FDD. 

I did find this contraption:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/34pin-floppy-connecter-to-USB-adapter-cable-34-pin-/232304540332?hash=item36166dfaac:g:egEAAOSwkl5Xc1oi
    but I think it may only work for a 3.5" FDD?

Even if I find a connector/cable to link to say a USB, so I can plug it into my HP laptop, I don't know if they will even be able to talk to each other.  I suspect I just bought an $80 paperweight!

Thanks!

Tim B.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 5.25" FDD 34 pin PCB - trying to connect to my HP laptop USB
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »
    I've looked into this before and never found something that definitely supports 5.25" drives that doesn't cost an absolute fortune.  Your best bet may be looking into getting a cheap/free old machine with an onboard floppy port where the BIOS allows you to set it to support a 360k drive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
    The other option would be a data recovery service...

I would check pricing 1st though...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

timb

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
      Thanks!  I just found this:
      http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html
      It appears to only work with 1.2MB 5.25" drives. Basically a FDD controller with a USB interface!  Now I need to buy a 1.2MB FDD which should also read my 360KB disks.  If I can't find a cheap used working PC with a 5.25 AND a 3.5" FDD.