Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New installation questions  (Read 4551 times)

AlwaysTrying

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    New installation questions
    « on: April 07, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
    I have tried googling but it's all minefield for me. I have had my laptop wiped and reinstalled with Windows 10 (previously win 7), do I need to create a recovery partition? Boot disk? Or just system imagine recovery? It's a 2nd hand laptop that I never created any recovery disks for.

It's a compaq presario C56 64 bit. With OEM product key on bottom of machine.

I've got blank CD-R disks and 32GB flash drive to hand.

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New installation questions
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
    Funny you shouldask. I am trying to do it right now and it is very, very slow.
    Here is the most consise article from Microsft about "How to make recovery disk for Windows 10."
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/3a747883-b706-43a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive

However, tahtseems to be over simplified.  Here is a tutorial wiht more detail.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-create-recovery-drive-windows-10-a.html

Let us knowif that helps.  :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:23:31 PM »
    Macrium Reflect Free is a better solution for image backups.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:15:41 PM »
    Computer_Commando,
    I believe you!
    I spent two hours trying to make a recovery in Windows 10 and I have no idea if it is any good.
    But Macrium Reflect does the job very well!
    Here is a link:
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    For home use it is free.

AlwaysTrying

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:27:01 AM »
      Thanks Geek and Computer_commando,

I done the recovery partition following geeks 2nd link before I see next reply.  It seems to have worked and it's on flash drive, did leave it working overnight.

My next question is, can I make system imagine copy and put that on same USB drive (32MB).

Also do I need to change BIOS set up as it doesn't have any boot option set.

Then should I ever need to reinstall my laptop I can just use flash drive.

Sorry for all questions, as you can tell I am clueless.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »
      If you use Macrium Reflect, it is all in only package. They have very good documentation and it is a completee backup solution.An yes, you have to lket theBIOS know you want to oot a USB or CD /DVD device. They tell you tghat in the documentaion.

Now aout the Windows Recovery method. It is a DY project with sparse documentaion. You have to look around to get the fill picture of how it works.
      1. You have to make a recovery device with your system image on it.
      2. You may have to start the recovery from the start screen
      - OR -
      3. You have to have the Windows install DVD or USB to stgart the recovery precess.

As I metioned, I have uet to get the Windows backup/recovery to work for me.

Biut the Macrium Reflect almos talwasy works. Plus it lets you moust and do a  "sneak peek" into a image file tosee if thereis a file you need in there. I have been able to pull out a single file without the need to do actaujlly the whle restore.

I don't knopw it the windows recovery allowsou to slect a singole file to recovery. I doubt it.