Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DRAM Problem?  (Read 3119 times)

KWolven

DRAM Problem?
« on: December 05, 2005, 04:02:12 PM »
I am having an issue w/my DRAM? I think.....The comp is fairly new and a custom build. We had a new ethernet (old one went bad) card and more RAM installed about 2 months ago. Since that time the comp no longer shuts down fully. It will allow you to try and shut it down but 2 secs or less after it is done shutting down it will automatically reboot. I have to disconnect power to prevent this. Also when booting after having been shut down (power disconnected) it will come up w/the error message "DRAM is wound too tightly". HUH?
Recently it also starting going to a blue screen that says something along the lines of .....Windows was prevented from starting due to a hardware issue and to prevent damage to windows. Please start the comp in safe mode to correct this problem.
I have spent several days here and many many days trying every combination of help the internet has to offer and have yet (other than a definition of DRAM) to find anything that resembles an answer to this problem.
Please Please if you have any kind of solution I am willing to try anything right about now! I have reloaded windows completley, ran several virus programs and also spyware programs. Nothings shows on either. I have the firewall that comes in windows XP and am on cable modem using a router. System info is as follows:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
Memory: 4 slots..2 used for 512 MB each
MoBO: Micro-Star 2.00
Let me know if you need more info please!!

Kate

KWolven

Re: DRAM Problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:45:21 PM »
*sigh* feeling kinda dumb shoulda done this before ..Sorry! Here is the system info as I should have listed it:
OS Name      Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version      5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer      Microsoft Corporation
System Name      KATE
System Manufacturer      MICRO-STAR INC.
System Model      MS-6728
System Type      X86-based PC
Processor      x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date      American Megatrends Inc. V3.9, 9/16/2004
SMBIOS Version      2.3
Windows Directory      C:\WINDOWS
System Directory      C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device      \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer      Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Total Physical Memory      1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory      767.00 MB
Total Virtual Memory      2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory      1.96 GB
Page File Space      2.40 GB
Page File      C:\pagefile.sys

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 10:17:59 AM »
Something is not releasing itself from memory on shutdown...can't say what it might be but for now let's change a default XP setting that re-boots the machine for now...
Go to Control Panel/System/Advanced and clik on Startup and Recovery and un-chek automatically restart on errors.
Shut down and re-boot and return to the same place as above to make sure the change was made.
Now when you have errors XP will either show a blue screen and or write the errors to the System Event log which will better assist us in helping diagnose your problem...

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

KWolven

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 08:42:41 AM »
Thanks for answering Patio! I did as you suggested have had 1 blue screen since then. Said it was shutting down windows to prevent damage to the program. Then at the bottom it said it was dumping my memory? Dumping to where and how long should I let that run before I reboot?
I found the Event Log (I think)..What am I looking for in it?
Again Thank You for your assistance!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 10:00:36 AM »
Next time you get a blue screen hit the pause key and write down everything it says and post the full error message here...

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "