Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: connecting router to laptop by Ethernet cat 6 cable?  (Read 2960 times)

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

connecting router to laptop by Ethernet cat 6 cable?
    « on: May 02, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »
    Hello all,

I am planning to buy a U/UTP Cat6 flat, patch cable that has a freq. of 250MHz and it is about 10 meters (32,8 feet) long. I want to connect it to my home router for a more stable connection as during games  the WIFI acts up at times. My download speed through WiFi is usually about 2-3 megabytes /s and I wonder if the length of the cat 6 cable would affect my internet speed?

Regards

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: connecting router to laptop by Ethernet cat 6 cable?
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
    dictation...
    Yes, the flat cable is likely your best choice. The  Wi-Fi connection may be having difficulty because of interference from nearby Wi-Fi users in your area. Also, Wi-Fi tends to have more latency than a direct cable would have. Don't worry about the length of the cable, if it is certified to be a cat 6 cable it will work without your needing to do anything to it. Get  a cable with the connections already made and save yourself the hassle of crimping the connectors on.

Expect your Ethernet connection to run at about 100 Mb per second. Of course, the speed you get over the Internet well-being less than that. The router will show your connection to be a 100 Mb per second connection, however the actual effective speed to the Internet will be much less because that's the way it works.
    Hope it works for you.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: connecting router to laptop by Ethernet cat 6 cable?
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
    I use a 50ft Flat Cable to connect my desktop to my Router and it gives me a gigabit connection to my router.

How much speed increase you will see is going to depend on whether the 2/3mbps speed is a reduced speed from lower wireless signal. If your ISP is only giving you 2/3mbps then you won't see much improvement.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.