Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What the heck is Steps Recording & what do I do with it?  (Read 4498 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

What the heck is Steps Recording & what do I do with it?
    « on: May 07, 2017, 12:53:14 PM »
    I've been having trouble with OneDrive.  I am in contact with support at OneDrive and we've done numerous things, the important one was to stop sending any info to OneDrive from my computer.  I either have to delete some stuff, or add (pay for) more storage.  I have no need for OneDrive as I backup my computer on an external hard drive (hey, something I can do).  Now they've given me a chore to do that requires me to run Steps Recorder.  Fine, I figured out how to get it started, but the only thing that shows up on my screen is a little box (can't be enlarged) and it says it's recording, but I don't see a thing.  It asked me where to save it and I put to save it to my Desktop Documents.  So I stopped it after a few minutes, looked on Desktop Documents, not there.  OneDrive also sent me the instructions from Microsoft on how to use Steps Recorder and I read it, however, no explanation as to how to really work the thing.  Can any of you tell me what to do?

Most of you know I'm computer stupid...I try...I really do...but I JUST DON'T GET IT!  I almost literally need someone sitting beside me to show me, and then I can do it from then on out, or step by step, exactly what I see on the screen needs to be told to me.  The big thing is, a lot of times what my computer is supposed to say, isn't what it really says.  Oh, there ya go, that's why I can't understand it, miscommunication! 

Love all you guys!

Debby

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What the heck is Steps Recording & what do I do with it?
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
    You start Recording, do stuff, then stop recording. It then shows you the steps it recorded and you can use Save to save the recorded data as a zip file.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »
    Apparently, Microsoft wanted to see the Steps Recording file so that they could know what steps you were taking on your computer in your attempt to disable or remove OneDrive.  I suggest making another attempt to remove it yourself.  This should help: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Turn-off-or-uninstall-OneDrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
      Thanks soybean, but when I did what it says to do, hit Windows key + R, type gpedit.msc to open Local Group Policy Editor, my computer comes up with "gpedit.msc cannot be found".  See, didn't I tell you my computer never says what it's supposed to say?  I do think somewhere in doing all this, I did uninstall OneDrive but had to re-install because it had some things on it I needed (and can't figure out how to get them off of OneDrive) (I checked the "fetch" to fetch it from OneDrive to my computer, but that does absolutely nothing).  And it seems everything just confuses me more because my computer never says what it's supposed to.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
      You should just follow that first set of steps to uninstall OneDrive. There wouldn't be much reason to disable it if it is uninstalled.

That said, The article is poorly written. Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is only available in the Pro Edition of Windows, not the Home. The article doesn't even mention that. Mind you it seems the author is confused as well; one of the first things described is how to uninstall Onedrive from Windows 10. Later, in the "Hide OneDrive in Windows 10" section, it claims that "OneDrive is built in to Windows 10, so it can't be uninstalled. " What? They just described how to do it!

As for getting files off of OneDrive, You can copy files from OneDrive just like normal, If you have it installed. It should appear in the left pane of the File Explorer, and you can access it that way and copy paste as one would for any normal file to your local documents folder.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
        No, that didn't work BC_Programmer, to copy files.  On the OneDrive list they give me Files, where pictures, documents, etc., are on.  Then further down they give me Photos.  I want that whole Photos file.  It is not under the regular file.  It is mainly Webshots pictures I had downloaded to my Webshots desktop, however, I am from Staunton, Virginia (I don't live there anymore, all my family is there, though), and I took some pictures, cannot find them on my computer so I have no idea how they got on OneDrive, but I'd like to have them.  And I'm with you, I have Windows 10, yes OneDrive was installed, and yes, they do tell you that you cannot uninstall it, then tell you how to do it.  Isn't that an oxy-moron?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
        Just copy/move all your stuff from One Drive to your PC...the pics are there and you can sort thru them at your convienence...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
        I can copy paste any and all files from OneDrive:

I can select all of them and copy/paste them wherever I want.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
          Okay, let me try that - I went to OneDrive on the web to do it.  See, I told y'all I was computer stupid!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 05:48:05 PM »
          You are not stupid...it's just something you haven't learned to do yet...

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »
            Okay you guys, I clicked on OneDrive and copied all the files to my computer (I think).  I got my OneDrive storage down under the limit, but when I checked it today, more had been added to it.  I unchecked the box under SETTINGS to not start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows.  So, how is my "stuff" still getting on OneDrive?  I'm trying to learn about this thing but I just don't get it.  I have looked everywhere I can think of to turn OneDrive off in case I'm missing something and I don't see anywhere else.  Even worse, getting rid of and understanding this OneDrive seems to be an obsession all of a sudden.

Also, back to the original thing I wrote about, this Step Recorder thing, am I not supposed to have a full screen when it starts?  I read how to use it on Microsoft's Support and it looks to me it can show it in that little box I get, or full screen.  I can't get full screen on mine.  Do I just let it record and then see if I can open it?  I'm traveling into unknown territory...I had never heard of Step Recorder nor Snip It tools, so all this stuff is just unreal!!!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
            If you copy stuff from OneDrive the files are still there...if you Move the files to the PC it frees up space...

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes