Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help selecting graphics cards  (Read 2493 times)

silverfocks

help selecting graphics cards
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:36:54 AM »
this may be simple to you guys; but i am a complete novice to pc building. so it is'nt to me
my problem is i  have recently bought a new pc, and the graphics card ( nvide geforce mx440) was taken from my old pc and installed in it.

my problem is i am trying to rebuild the old pc to give to a friend, so i need to reinstall a graphics card,,,,, how do i find out if a graphics card works on the mobo installed, or will any graphics card work on any mobo

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: help selecting graphics cards
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 02:44:31 AM »
    silverfocks.....  It's really quite simple ........what type of a graghics card do you have .......
    is it a PCI or AGP ...or if its an real old card it could be a ISA .
    What kind of available slots are on the mobo in the pc you are rebuilding . if the slot matches the pins on the card plug it in ...and it will work ....you may have to install drivers for it though .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

silverfocks

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:29:33 AM »
    the board is abit kt-7e

it has  1agp + 6 pci slots

i don't have a graphics card yet, i am trying to find out which graphics cards are usable on this board, so as i can have a look on ebay

silverfocks

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:38:49 AM »
    i don't have a graphics card yet, i am trying to find out which card will suit the mobo i have, so as i can have a look on ebay

the mobo is a,,, abit kt-7e.... it has 6 pci + 1 agp socket

thanks for your help

royphil345

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 07:57:48 AM »
    Think that board has a 2X / 4X AGP slot. For best performance, a 2X or 4X AGP card would be best.  Could also use a PCI card. Don't know if you're looking for the cheapest card you can find, or something that could handle a little gaming...  

newegg.com has some good deals going on lesser known brand names of AGP cards. With the customer reviews, you can usually get a pretty good idea of if the card's gonna' give you problems or not. Can pick up a fairly high-performance card pretty cheap.

silverfocks

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 06:54:10 PM »
    yes it's just something fairly cheap, i'm giving the pc to a friend when it is all put together, 4x it is then

thanks for your help