Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Am I messing up my motherboard H81M-E34  (Read 2798 times)

NaStilOnited

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Am I messing up my motherboard H81M-E34
    « on: May 29, 2017, 05:59:49 AM »
    Hi I'm pretty much a novice to computer upgrades. I'm wondering if I'm putting too much stress on my motherboard(H81M-E34). I Have recently upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce GT 720 to a GeForce GTX 1050ti SSC. Also have upgraded my processor from a Intel Pentium G3240 to a Intel I7 4790K. And upgraded Ram my From DDR3 2x4 8gb (unnamed brand) to a DDR3 2x8 16GB PNY PC3-14900
    (Model:MD16384KD3-1866-K-X10). If anybody could help I would really appreciate it so I don't mess up my new parts.

p.s thanks in advance

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Am I messing up my motherboard H81M-E34
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
    Only concern I have is what your running for a power supply to power all this. The system has a power hungry CPU and GPU where prior it was lightweight.

Additionally just verify that the system temps are staying cool and nothing is running HOT. If temps are good and you have a power supply adequate for the power demands then you should be all set.

Video card calls for 300 watts or greater power supply, and this card is the newer GTX card that doesnt require the additional 12 volt direct power, so all power is through the power pins of the PCI Express slot. This card runs heavy on the PCI Express slot with 75 watts draw which is the maximum draw for a PCI Express 16x slot. Most video cards which are lighter weight run in the 40-60 watt range. You should be fine with this video card at the maximum wattage as long as the board was manufactured to proper maximum load spec for PCI-E power. https://www.asus.com/support/faq/104406/

I picked up a GTX 1050 just like this one for $120 about a month ago and had to return mine because it doent have analog video support for older monitor with VGA connection with DVI to VGA adapter, then DVI-D are digital, so I returned the card and went back to using my GTX 780. My GTX 780 requires the 12 volt direct power, whereas this GTX 1050 didnt require the additional 12 volt direct power.  I wasnt able to test the GTX 1050 SSC 75 watt video card against my GTX 780 which requires the additional 12 volts direct power to see if the GTX 1050 SSC has been crippled to get its power demands down to the 75 watt PCI-E slot operating power limit. My thoughts are that the GTX 1050 SSC will benchmark lesser than a GTX 1050 with the direct power connection which would be 125 watts or greater, and additional power draw of a same generation and make/model GPU usually means faster performance at the cost of higher electric bill and more heat output. So your GTX 1050 SSC will likely benchmark weaker than other GTX 1050 cards because its a lesser power hungry card.  :)

NaStilOnited

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:41:57 AM »
      Have have since got a new power supply 650wThermalTake also after about a hour of gaming my so PC is so hot to the touch that I think it also needs more fans

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »
      Yup as I said...

Additionally just verify that the system temps are staying cool and nothing is running HOT. If temps are good and you have a power supply adequate for the power demands then you should be all set.

And you said its hot to the touch.... you  need more airflow.  ;D

Check the fan directions and make sure you have a somewhat even pairing of fans the draw air into the case as well as blow air out of the case. The fans should have an arrow in the plastic mold of the outer fan body that shows flow direction as well as blade rotation direction. Quick method is feel for airflow direction is it sucking or blowing etc. If all fans are drawing air out of the case then you can have a hot pocket of air as the fans act like a tug of war for air flow direction. Same goes if all blow into the case and none permitting exit of air.

So airflow that is  <--  -->   and   --> <-- is BAD and airflow that is  <-- <-- and --> --> is GOOD when using multiple fans. I like to set up fans at front of my cases that draw cool air into the case at its front and then warm air exit out the rear of the case. The front of the case starts to build up dust as dust particles cling to plastic so I check it for a dirty face every once in a while and  blow it out with canned air monthly to get rid of dust inside of it.