Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes under heavy load  (Read 4123 times)

watergard

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer freezes under heavy load
    « on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
    So, my computer crashes during the summer time under heavy load. It'll stutter with audio and video some times, and crash at others. When it crashes, the the IO will stay stuck if it was pegged, the monitor will freeze, and my RGB keyboard will freeze. It doesn't write to the event viewer. I've got 3 3000rpm noctua fans for airflow, a cooler master closed loop cpu cooler for my fx-9590, and a 980ti. My CPU stays around 50-60c however, under load my gpu gets to about 75c max. I've got an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 watt B2 80+ PSU with the PC part picker rated at about ~580 watts. Any insights as to why I get these crashes? I can get whatever info you need to help troubleshoot. Thanks!

Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX 9590
    Cooler: Corsair - H60
    Mobo: Asus - Crosshair V Formula Z
    Ram: HyperX Fury Black DDR3 1866 2x8
    SSD: 850 Evo 500GB
    Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA Nex 750w 80+ Bronze

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer freezes under heavy load
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:33:10 AM »
    Have you tested your RAM with memtest86?

Although you refer to (summer time under heavy load ) as if its a thermal condition only that causes this.... does it run normal when cold and then only act up when hot? If so then something is running too hot perhaps the bridge controller on the motherboard etc.

Also if you have any overclocking going on... undo your overclocks and see if it behaves at normal clock etc. Also if over voltaging any components intentionally undo that as well. *That should be part of undoing an overclock if you are pushing for a heavy overclock which involved boosting RAM voltage by a few tenths of a volt which will make them ( RAM Sticks ) run warmer.

Cound RAM sticks themselves be cooking. I had a computer a ways back with Gaming Quality OCZ 400Mhz DDR that would act up only when the inside air of the case was really warm. To the touch my RAM sticks were roasting hot and the OCZ heat spreaders giving off their own heat plus inside of the case didnt help any in trying to passively get rid of heat. My fix was to add a 80mm fan blowing across my RAM inside the case suspended like a spider web with zip ties to proper placement and verifying that the fan wouldnt be smothered by the side panel. My voltages I didnt mess with and I think OCZ may have been using 333Mhz rated chips at a forced to 400Mhz overclock selling them as 400Mhz Gaming RAM since they passed testing at 400Mhz and that may have been why they were running hot. I ended up putting value RAM into it eventually and those sticks ran cool and no heat spreaders. And the funny thing is going from 1GB of DDR 400 ( 512MB x 2 ) of Gaming RAM to 2GB of DDR 400 ( 1GB x 2 ) Value RAM I saw no performance loss, but now had more RAM for gaming and the sticks stayed cool so I was able to remove the spider web like suspended 80mm fan inside the case over the RAM.  :P

Have you tried running the system with side panel off and see if it no longer acts up. If this is the fix then you need better airflow inside your case.

watergard

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
      Thanks for the input. I used Prime95 to stress test the ram. Turns out its the CPU. I've gotten a new one on amazon that'll be here Monday. I'll see if that helps. I'll post the update when I get it installed.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 09:46:01 PM »
      Thanks for the input. I used Prime95 to stress test the ram. Turns out its the CPU. I've gotten a new one on amazon that'll be here Monday. I'll see if that helps. I'll post the update when I get it installed.
      May I ask a question?
      Does  Prime95 somehow let you know it was the CPU?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
      I was curious with this conclusion too.... CPU's rarely ever fail.

Its usually something else unless you pushed a overclock and over voltage too far and roasted the CPU or ran it without a heatsink properly attached.

In the 30+ years of working with computers I have only had one CPU fail and it was a 486DX33. It would run normal and then start to wig out and eventually lock up tight for Windows 3.11 . I opened the system and felt the face of the 486 and it was blistering hot. the 486 normally didnt have a heatsink on it. I checked power supply and it was proper voltages. Swapped out the 486DX33 with a 486DX66 that I got from a friend and it ran cool and proper. The 486DX33 had something internally damaged that turned it into a hot plate and able to function until it got to a temperature that cause it to glich and then freeze totally up and sometimes black screen.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »
      I'll take eggs over easy and bacon...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
      I'll take eggs over easy and bacon...

Might take a while only a small cooking area...

;D

Saw a picture of a computer case that was turned into a coffee maker PC and was thinking that would be interesting to make warm coffee with the heat byproduct of the processing. The harder you work, the warmer your coffee is.  ;)

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2013/10/02/the-ultimate-case-mod-coffee-maker-pc/