Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: floppy drive kaput?  (Read 3033 times)

FunkenGrooven

floppy drive kaput?
« on: December 07, 2005, 11:46:33 AM »
I wanted to do a BIOS update for my desktop...so I tried to insert a floppy and it wouldn't go in...I guess I didn't re-install the stack of drives straight so I turned off the PC...left it plugged in to ground it...took out the drives and fixed the inability to insert a floppy...left the floppy in the drive...put the cover back on and powered it up...The PC immediatley read the diskette and went to a DOS screen...and as quick as that happened...the power shorted out in the plug I had the surge protector connected to...the power came back on and the light on the front of the drive doesn't light up anymore...Is there a possibility the drive is still good and buying a new one will be a waste of money?  Anyone have this happen to them before?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: floppy drive kaput?
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 12:15:28 PM »
    The power shorting in your wall socket/plug should not harm your floppy drive.
    Having said that, don't forget that electricity works on magic.

FunkenGrooven

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 12:19:44 PM »
    So if it's my computer that is the problem...what would the problem be specifically.

Dell4700

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 12:20:04 PM »
    I'm guessing that you haven't told us everything that you did or everything that happened.

But, whatever you did, installing another drive in the same manner would probably be a waste of time and money.  I'd recommend you take it to a shop and have them install it.

Dell

FunkenGrooven

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 12:24:47 PM »
    that's not a suggestion I'm willing to entertain...please...these forums are for do it yourselfers...you suggesting that I have someone fleece me for doing something I could easily is absurd...and BTW my description of "what I did" was overly decriptive if anything.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:43:16 PM »
      the power shorted out in the plug I had the surge protector connected to

What caused this and what did you do to fix it?

FunkenGrooven

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 12:45:09 PM »
      i've called my landlord...she is getting someone to come out as soon as they can...she said the room that I'm using for the PC was the only room not rewired when they had the place redone...kinda frustrating. >:(

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 12:54:57 PM »
      Always remove all power to the PC before opening the case and working inside...

patio.  8)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

FunkenGrooven

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 12:56:45 PM »
      I've learned that leaving the power cord in grounds the machine...do you know different?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »
      I would never leave a machine plugged in to work on it...

I've never heard that but i don't believe it's accurate...

patio.  8)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dell4700

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »
      My reply was not meant to imply anything other than what I said.

Nothing in your 'description' accounts for the power short.  Clearly there is a cause, whether you know that cause or not (or are willing to tell us).  A repeat of such an event could have a catastrophic effect on your PC and other devices, not to mention yourself.

My 'suggestion' to have it professionally installed was to lessen the chance of harm to yourself and equipment.  It wasn't meant to imply that you're not capable.

Whether that is an 'absurd' idea is, of course, your call.

Dell

nilrem_2

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 02:17:11 PM »
      The story telling is amazing........of what a floppy drive does.....

I dont believe it........

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »
      I've learned that leaving the power cord in grounds the machine...do you know different?

Absolutely NEVER a good idea!!!! Not even open to discussion.

FunkenGrooven

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 09:45:35 AM »

Absolutely NEVER a good idea!!!! Not even open to discussion.

here's a note from my local IT about the discussion topic that has been closed

PS: yes, that true.  You need to touch the chassis while it’s plugged in so that you don’t zap anything.

If I could steer this thread back to the original point...I would like to know if my rental's faulty power may have caused damage to my PC that would cause it to not power  a floppy drive...I'm going to test the floppy drive here at work so  I'll find out myself and post the results later if no one knows.
      « Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 09:48:03 AM by FunkenGrooven »

FunkenGrooven

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 03:54:23 PM »
      alright I'm sorry I even brought it up...so here's the end of the stupid floppy drive fiasco...tested the drive in another machine...green light!...decided to use a co workers advice and try a spare 4 pin connecter wired from the power supply and give that a try...worked on the first try...did the BIOS Update.  Thanks for the tip about making power a priority.