Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: This legit? I tried to build my own like this and couldn't get it cheaper....  (Read 2481 times)

rpalmier82

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Like you said, try to find the parts cheaper and you won't.
    A DIY PC is mostly a mater of pride and desire to try something diffeernt.
    At some time, years ago,  to build was cheaper than  to buy.  ;D

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Looks legit.

As far as good deal... I personally wouldnt buy it. ( Mainly because I am cheap and as long as what i have plays the games I like to play and frame rate is 30 fps or better, I dont really care that my dual-core CPU is running at 100% for both cores to play a game that is spec'd for minimum requirements of a quadcore 2.4Ghz Intel or 2.5Ghz AMD processor such as in Dragon Age - Inquisition ).

I had this game running fine on my wifes Pentium E5400 2.7Ghz dual-core system with GeForce 9800GT 1GB on 4GB System RAM with Windows 7 64-bit when I was out of work on disability and unable to use the stairs to access my better 8-core FX-8350 or 4-core Athlon II x4 620 which was up in my office.

Myself I generally buy partial upgrades where I mix and match new hardware with already owned older compatible hardware to save money and get the most out of everything I purchase. So I dont buy new drives for example and will migrate the DVD ROM and Hard Drive(s) from prior builds until I find that my storage capacity is running too tight and then upgrade the system with a larger capacity drive or add a drive for more storage.

My newest builds a AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0Ghz 125 watt TDP and AMD FX-8300 8-core 3.3Ghz 95 watt TDP system, the only new parts are the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and OS. So for example I already owned the cases and drives and power supplies.

So my builds cost me for these 2 upgrades:
    AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8-core = $129.99
    8GB DDR3 1600 = $57.00
    Gigabyte AM3+ Motherboard = $ 59.99
    Geforce GTX 570 = FREE for helping out a friend with a new build who didnt want to sell it but gave me it.  ;D
    DVD-RW Drive = $0
    Case = $0
    600 Watt PSU = $0
    256GB SSD = $0
    1TB HDD = $0
    Windows 7 64-bit = $99.99
    Monitor, keyboard & Mouse = $0

FX-8350 upgrade cost me to build using existing parts + new and used = $346.97

AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8-core = $99.99
    8GB DDR3 1600 = $57.00
    Biostar AM3+ Motherboard = $ 54.99
    Geforce GTX 780 ti  = $100 (used)
    DVD-RW Drive = $0
    Case = $0
    600 Watt PSU = $0
    120GB SSD = $0
    500GB HDD = $0
    Windows 7 64-bit = $99.99
    Monitor, keyboard & Mouse = $0

FX-8300 3.3Ghz upgrade cost me to build using existing parts + new and used= $411.97

So shared this info in case you had a prior computer that you could use some of the guts of the old system in the new system if looking to go as cheap as you can with a custom build and avoid having to buy a case, power supply, drives, and video card for maybe and only get parts that are required for upgrade that you dont already have.  :)

*If your wondering why the better video card isnt paired with the better CPU its because I like the FX-8300 3.3Ghz better and so I put the better video card into that. The FX-8350 runs hot and fan is noisy and the FX-8300 runs cool and quiet and so the FX-8300 3.3Ghz gets way more use and the 700Mhz difference isnt noticed at all.

Also if you would be happy with a older but somewhat newer video card that will run your games fine, if you have any friends who have to have the latest and greatest and they are willing to sell or give away their prior hardware that still works fine, you can save money on gaming builds. But if you looking for bragging rights for the fastest system, cutting corners in costs doesnt apply.  ;D

The kind of bragging rights that I strive for is making good systems out of mix and matched new and used guts to say this was done for under $400 for example etc and its a greener way to build computers because your only really getting rid of  obsolete guts and keeping guts that are still compatible with the new build. So less goes into landfill than being so wasteful to toss and buy everything new with each new computer. To me a new computer can be a mix of new and old as long as it runs healthy.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    This is why i don't do shopping...
    That being said...marginal MBoard...

An SSD drive would be better...
    The PSU brand and model is not even mentioned.

Just sayin.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "