Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Should I buy a laptop made in 2012?  (Read 3575 times)

divs

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Should I buy a laptop made in 2012?
    « on: July 08, 2017, 12:46:29 AM »
    On trademe (NZ ebay) there are cheap computers from 2012 with 8 gigs of Ram so I can play Star Citizen and Blender. Or should I spend more and get a more current computer?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Should I buy a laptop made in 2012?
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 07:08:43 AM »
    What make/model laptop is this and how much are they asking?

A laptop with 8GB RAM doesnt take into account what it has for a CPU & GPU or APU with combined Processor & Video. You will want to make sure that the specs of whatever computer you get at least meet all minimum requirements of games you want to play, but its best to have a system that is to the recommended system specs or better.

If this is a high end laptop for 2012 it might be fine for today, but if it was a lower end laptop for 2012 then its likely the original owner got rid of it because its fallen behind the times and slower than they wanted.

I have a laptop from 2009 that has less than 1000 hours on it and is like new, but the GPU is too weak and so it was parked in my attic. I also have a laptop from 2013 and that one is starting to show struggling with games mainly again due to the GPU and I have about 1500 hours of use on that one. I have a laptop I bought in 2017 to replace that one, but running that older one from 2013 as long as I can to get the most of it before it too gets parked in storage. So I'm only getting about 4 years of use out of brand new laptops, but the laptops I buy are higher-low to mid-range GPU specs. So they meet the requirements of games I play when purchased, but fall behind the times as newer games need more and existing games are updated with better graphics making the GPU eventually struggle to keep frame rate at 25fps or faster. When the frame rate is in the 20s its a warning sign that the GPU is starting to lose the battle against evolution of games, and when it drops below 20 fps thats when I park them and get a suitable replacement for $500 or less which will give me 30 fps or better.

A friend of mine bought a high end Toshiba Qosmio for $2000 on sale from the $2400 regular price in 2007 and in 5 years it wasnt able to handle games because the Geforce 7300 GO was too weak. I dont put much money into laptops because they are a losing battle with GPU's as games evolve. Desktop computers at least you can add a video card and stretch the life out of them a little longer and sometimes even longer than that with a CPU upgrade as well. Laptops are meant to be throw aways pretty much when they fall behind software/game evolution. His laptop is this one: https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-qosmio-g35-av600/review/ * Some laptops have ability to upgrade video cards, but the upgrade options arent the greatest with them and the cards come at a premium.

Knowing what laptop you have in mind and price tag we can help you to know if its a good purchase or to look for something better.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »
    If you don;t care about games as many don't, a laptop can last a long time. I have a Dell Latitude business laptop that I bought refurbished very cheap in 2012, it has a build date sticker of Novermber 2009. I use it as a DLNA server and NAS. Works absolutely fine.The battery still has 70% capacity.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 10:24:17 AM »
    I agree with salmon that if somewhat modern games arent to be played on a laptop you can have them for many years.

I had a Dell C600 600Mhz Pentium 3 that I got for free from a client that used it for 8 years, and I put almost 5 years on it myself upgrading the RAM from 128MB to 384MB and 20GB HDD and adding Windows XP to it, as well as my brother had a C610 that was dead which had a healthy broadcom NIC to add to it to remove the plastic knock out and make the RJ-45 Network jack live. I used it for programming in C++ using Bloodshed Dev C++, because its specs were too weak for Visual Studio Express, and also programmed in Perl on it, as well as used it for an on the road beater laptop that if it ever got stolen or broken no big loss and by use of 120 watt cigarette lighter inverter I could use it out in my car on lunch breaks etc to brain dump code ideas to actual code and pick away at projects etc since I am always thinking of stuff even when doing other things, especially on a slow day at work. It was a rugged little laptop, and the thing that finally killed it was the battery which would only last about 10 minutes after a full charge leaked into inside of the laptop and it ate the traces on the main board killing it. If it wasn't for death by battery acid, I would still have it and use it. I played old games on it as well such as Diablo on it offline.  ;D

The laptops that I put into storage, I occasionally bring out for projects such as automation where I don't want to tie up one of my main systems with automation and they can do this using very little electricity compared to a desktop computer as well as its all in one, no need to set up display and keyboard/mouse etc.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
    I wouldn't...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »
    the absolute Minimum requirements for that game require a 2Ghz Quad Core and a GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870. Even if you match that, you'd have to reduce settings, resolution, and other options.

Recommended options are a i7 3770K or better, or an AMD FX 4350 Or better.

None of the systems you listed would even meet the very minimum requirements of the game. They are all Dual Core processors (some faster than others, but quad core is still the minimum requirement). Only the first has a graphcis chipset, and it is slightly worse performance wise than the minimum requirement.

The other options all use Integrated graphics which would be pretty much a no go for games Like Elite, I'd expect.

It is very unlikely (but not impossible) that you could find something in the price range you appear to be aiming for.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

divs

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »
      I'm thinking of getting a laptop for Blender and later on getting a desktop for Elite dangerous?

What specs should I get for a laptop using Blender?

thomasC1989

Greenhorn
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »
        Blender's CUDA rendering in Cycles only supports Nvidia cards for now, so make sure your laptop is using one. AMD cards will need to use OpenCL to render in Cycles, which isn't fully optimized or supported, so go for Nvidia now.

I believe blender can now use system memory (50% afaik) in addition to VRAM in GPU (CUDA) rendering, so you can consider system memory size in addition to VRAM size of your GPU.

Personally I'd rather render using a desktop. I don't know much about your workflow, but if you are not rendering on the laptop itself, it should be fine getting a decent "gaming" laptop

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 02:29:47 PM »
        So, is a laptop really needed?
        In eneral, good used Desktops costs less taht a used laptop with the same performance. Pat of the cost is the laptop dispaly. Add to taht the cost of the battery.
        You can get a used quad-core for about  $200 and up. But for gaming, you will have to pay more for a machine that has more memory and a top video card. Expect to pay  about  $600 and up. Check locally on a place like creig's list. You might find somebody in yoru area taht wants to ger rid of his old game machine.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
        To summarise he's expecting a 12 year old laptop to run what it wasn't built for...just sayin.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
        To summarise he's expecting a 12 year old laptop to run what it wasn't built for...just sayin.
        Well... maybe he should consider other games!
        http://gameranx.com/updates/id/66364/article/6-space-game-alternatives-to-star-citizen/
        ... By the end of 2016, there are at least six different types of space games to fill that void left by Chris Roberts. None of these games will have a $15,000 buy-in option from the developers. They’re all pretty straightforward video game products, where you don’t have to worry about feeling obligated to throw more money at it later on.
           8)

pcurtj1974

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
        If by Blender you mean the 3D software, you will need more than 8 gig
        On trademe (NZ ebay) there are cheap computers from 2012 with 8 gigs of Ram so I can play Star Citizen and Blender. Or should I spend more and get a more current computer?