Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Boot Failure when powered on.  (Read 3149 times)

Julie Keating

Disk Boot Failure when powered on.
« on: December 08, 2005, 07:48:55 AM »
Just instld Windows XP on new pc. Restarted pc and after diagnostics screens i get message: Boot from CD: disk boot failure, install setup disk.  i am unable to get any further. After prompt I have inserted windows xp disk and drivers disk but no go. I did not install drivers prior to restarting if that makes a difference.

I set bios to boot from hard disk but no go.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Disk Boot Failure when powered on.
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 08:47:01 AM »
    Is this a full version of XP?

J. Keating

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:30:23 AM »
    Yes, full version

J. Keating

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »
    I set bios to boot from CD and inserted Win XP.  Computer started right up. But the computer is unable to boot from hard disk.  I guess I will have to boot from CD rom everytime I cut on pc.  

The hard drive did not come with new pc. I purchased pc as barebones. Hard drive came from older computer.  Could the hd be damaged?

Dell4700

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
    Yes, the hard drive could be bad or intermittent, but...

You say you've already installed XP on this drive?  How did you do this without installing drivers?  If this is a boot drive from another PC, it probably won't work!

Have you set it up as the boot drive?  Drive configuration and bios recognize the drive?  Did you format the drive first?  What format are you using (NTFS, FAT32, etc.)?

Dell

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 02:20:47 PM »
      Julie Keating.....  Usually when you take the HD containing the O/S from one pc and install it on another it will not work .......unless the old mobo and hardware configuration is similar to the new one .......So to make life easy ...I would suggest .......slaving the hard drive in question on another machine and wiping it clean ......then with a clean hard drive .........put it back in the other pc ......set 1st boot to cd-rom, put the XP in the cd rom and restart ........Your xp cd should be bootable and will load up for you .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.