Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading RAM  (Read 2256 times)

ErectileReptile

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Upgrading RAM
    « on: July 29, 2017, 02:18:56 PM »
    Hello, I was looking to upgrade the RAM on my laptop and I had a few questions. Does the laptop I have allow for me to upgrade the RAM? And if I can is it possible for me to do so myself even though it has an internal battery that I cannot remove?

Here are my laptop specs:

K501UX
    Edition - Windows 10 Home
    Version - 1607
    OS Build - 14393.1480
    Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500 CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
    Installed RAM - 8.00 GB (7.98 GB usable)
    System type - 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrading RAM
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
    Asus K501UX
    Memory:  OnBoard Memory 4 GB , 1 x DIMM socket for expansion up to 12 GB SDRAM

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrading RAM
    « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
    The ASUS laptops like your model require quite a bit of disassembly to install more RAM. There is a chance you can kill the laptop in the process. There are youtube videos on the process showing it done for your model to see whats involved before you dismantle it.

If your willing to take the risk then you can. I have a ASUS laptop that can take 8GB RAM, but by which it only has 4GB RAM. I saw whats involved and realized its more work than I want to double my memory. On my model ASUS X401A the laptop has to just about be completely dismantled to free up the main board. The RAM is on the bottom side of the main board and ASUS decided not to design it with a memory access panel. If it was located on the top of the main board such as under the keyboard I probably would dig into it and bring it to 8GB, but the risk of killing the laptop is not worth the extra memory. Additionally for $279.99 I bought myself a Core i3 Dell and that has 8GB RAM, so I will keep this ASUS X401A at the 4GB that came from factory.