Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: front 3.5mm jack audio out of right earcup only  (Read 3303 times)

mochronik

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    front 3.5mm jack audio out of right earcup only
    « on: July 18, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
    When using the front 3.5mm audio jack:
    when the cable is pushed in all the way I only hear audio out of the right earcup
    when its ever so slightly not pushed in I only hear a very feint sound out of the left earcup and nothing out of the right

using the back mobo audio port (which is meant for speakers) I get audio out of both earcups but the sound isn't very loud at maximum

I've tested the headphones on my phone etc and they work just fine, they're audio technicas that I've had for ~year and they're in perfect shape
    I've also tested the cable
    I've also been playing with all the audio settings etc and nothing so far

specs
    win 10 pro
    asus z170-a pro
    using realtek HD audio manager that came with MSI product (open to anything really)

any help is appreciated this is driving me nuts

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: front 3.5mm jack audio out of right earcup only
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »
    First of all, the 3.5 mm plug and jack are widely used for a lot of things.

Your headphone or earpiece works find on a smartphone. It was meant for that kind of use.  For use on a PC, a variation of the3.5 mm connector is use.
    I see this pages:

You can search for "images of 3.5mm headphones" and notice difference in the connectors. Sine are double ring. The PC uses single ring.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
    I'd say the jack might be messed up. I have an issue with my computer with front jack since I have used the same computer case since 2004 and it acts up occasionally giving me only one ear and not both. I am going to have to replace the front audio jack on my desktop computer to fix this. There have been a couple times that I got up forgetting i had headset on and it got tugged to the side, so working for last 13 years with heavy use and a few accidental tugs is pretty good.

Audio on my headset is usually set to the maximum too which is like 70% loudness from what I would expect for 100%. An easy fix would be to make use of an available USB port to insert a sound card stick into there and use that audio, or get a male/female extension cable and use the rear audio jack to get stereo back to both ears vs mono to one ear. I have also seen people replace computer cases to solve this. Otherwise if your good with reworking electronics, replace the audio jack unsoldering the old one and adding new.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:54:40 PM »
    I've tested the headphones on my phone

Like Geek-9pm mentioned, The cable for your headphones likely has a TRRS connector. It includes additional connectors for headset/microphone features. This is not the same connector as a typical headphone jack, which is a TRS connector. They are both 3.5mm jacks, and a TRRS connector will have odd behaviour when plugged into a TRS jack. (very quiet, missing channels, etc)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »
    Tip, ring, [ring], sleeve