Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Wont Turn On  (Read 4860 times)

Eric Smith

Computer Wont Turn On
« on: December 09, 2005, 04:01:59 PM »
Can anyone tell me why a computer would not turn on. The mouse and the keyboard both light up but the computer does nothing. I found your site while looking for an answer to my question. I know that is next to no information but I am at work and the computer is at home.

EricS

GX1_Man

Re: Computer Wont Turn On
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:07:56 PM »
When you get home, post the computer make and model, components, what happened prior to this, etc.

Bad power supply is a possibility, as well as poorly seated components. Has it been moved or monkeyed with?

Again, more details are required for a solution.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 04:26:33 PM »
I will get all the information for you. The computer was built for me by my brother inlaw. I would ask him but he is currently in Iraq. And when he gets a chance to call I sure dont want to ask him about computers.

Thanks for your willingness to help.

EricS

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 04:29:04 PM »
I almost forgot you asked about what occured before this problem. I dont think anything happened I got done reading my email shut down the email program and went to bed when I got up and went over to the computer it was off and would not restart but the mouse and the keyboard both worked. Well at least the green lights on the keyboard worked and the red under the mouse worked.

EricS

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 05:51:47 PM »
So these are USB peripherals? Do you have a spare working power supply unit to test with, if needed?

So it was on, not turned off with the power button and it is just stuck non-functional currently?

I would start with unplugging it for a few seconds, and then plug it back in to see what happens when the power button is pressed.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 08:16:03 PM »
Correct both are USB's and the computer will not turn on it will not even try to turn on it just sits doing nothing....

I do not have an extra power supply but I can "borrow" one from a friends computer.

I did forget to mention about a little green light that comes on that apears to be on the mother board the bottom back of the mother board if that makes sense.

EricS

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 09:51:16 PM »
Before the computer broke it was running perfect I went to bed and when I woke up it would not turn on just the mouse and keyboard worked. I did not turn it off the night before.

Thanks Again for Helping
EricS

Running Windows XP with the Service Pack

OK I hope this is what you need

Powmax 702 Matrix CP702-3 Case 450W Power Supply

Enermax UC-8TCFS B-80mm Double Ball Bearing Colling Fan

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX

Corsair XMS 1gb (2 * 512MB) 184 Pin DDR SDRAM DDR400 Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memroy Model TWINXP1024-3200C2

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300831AS 300GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

ASUS Beige IDE DVD Burner DRW-1608p

Atech Flash Pro-9 11 in 1 USB 2.0 Internal Car Reader.

Dell4700

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 10:47:41 PM »
I tried to get information from ASUS and the case manufacturer, but the former is partly down [http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A8N-SLI%20Deluxe&langs=09#] and the latter can't be found.  As a starting point:

Have you made any changes to the system recently?  New hardware/software?  When you were last checking email did you open any attachments that you weren't expecting?  Do you regularly check for malware?

- it appears you have power to the case and motherboard (lights and mouse/keyboard).  Do you get a startup beep(s) when you turn it on?  Can you hear/see the fans working?

- are there any strange smells or other indications of overheating?

- have you recently moved, changed or replaced any hardware, boards, cables or connectors?  Check any that may have come loose or unseated (power disconnected).

- if everything seems normal, but there is no display, try using another monitor you know is good.  If no change, try a good graphics card as a substitute for your onboard system.  This may or may not work, depending on your current BIOS settings.

- your power management settings may be set up wrong (hibernation/sleep modes, turn on, etc.).

There's a lot more to check if the above doesn't help.  You have a very busy motherboard with lots of possible failures.

Dell

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 10:51:44 PM »
Dell,

Nothing Changed no new programs did not open any email attachments. No weird smells or anything else. The monitor works I can hear it turn on but I cant get anypower to the computer. The motherboard and harddrive used to light up and display numbers but they no longer light up.

EricS

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 10:56:50 PM »
No new hardware or software. And I have not opened any attachments.

I dont know if I have power to the case or not the lights on the outside for power do not work. There is no startup beeps because the computer will not turn on at all and the Fans are not working.

No strange smells or any other indication of overheating

I have not moved the computer at all and not replaced any hardware boards calbes or connectors. I have checked them all and they appear to be secure.

I dont think it is the monitor

EricS

Dell4700

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 12:44:26 AM »
Well, you did say that your mouse/keyboard are lit.  This indicates you at least have power to the motherboard/PS2 circuit.  But, your power supply could still be bad, especially since your fans don't come on at power on.

At power on, see if your CDROM drive tray will open.  If not, I would greatly suspect a bad power supply.

Dell

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 05:01:12 AM »
I'm thinking power supply with the detailed info you have provided. The CDROM test is a good thought, but swapping in a new one will tell us much.

Mac

Computer Wont Turn On
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 06:54:39 AM »
How old is the computer and have you had an electrical storm during the night? Do you use an UPS and a surge protector?

I never leave any computer running without an operator sitting at it.

Also the longer it is on the more chance a hacker has of getting in. (Standard FBI Advice.)

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 03:59:05 PM »
Ok Thanks for the post everyone I am going to buy a power supply for the computer.

MAC

Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 04:00:39 PM »
Ok Thanks for the post everyone I am going to buy a power supply for the computer.

MAC The computer is about 4 months old and is hooked up to a surge protector but not a power supply. And we have had no lighting storms in over a month.

EricS