Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help with computer sound system please  (Read 1985 times)

azleena

need help with computer sound system please
« on: December 07, 2005, 01:25:32 AM »
I'm having a problem with my computer. It will only play music CDs and movies - no windows action sounds, no sounds from browsers.

I'm running windows XP home edition, with desktop stereo speakers. They used to work fine, though after we recently moved, we connected the computer to a stereo (with no problems with sounds) till the stereo broke down, and have only just reconnected the small desktop speakers to find this problem.

I have checked all the sounds and audio devices settings and cannot see anything out of the ordinary.

Help much appreciated, as my 2yo daughter cannot play her interactive online games and CDs.

Thanks.

Dell4700

Re: need help with computer sound system please
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 07:14:55 AM »
Suggest you recheck your 'Sounds and Multimedia' Properties in your control panel.  Make sure all the sounds are listed that you want and that they are active.

Next, check your audio hardware in your system's 'Device Manager.'  Make sure your sound card/device is active without any question marks.

Also, check your volume control properties to make sure you don't have your PC sounds muted.

Dell

azleena

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 05:15:26 PM »
Thanks for replying, dell4700.

Volume control was the first thing I checked, it's not muted.

In my control panel, there is no 'Sounds and multimedia' properties, only 'Sounds and audio devices', which I checked before.

Where is the device manager? Didn't see that option in my Control Panel.  I'm in Malaysia, if that makes any difference... would there be different software versions to be so different?

The thing is, I can play music CDs (or music copied to my hard disc) but when I try an interactive CD, there is no sound at all. And even when the Sound Scheme is Windows Default, I cannot hear any of the windows Program Events sounds, even when I select and play one from the list in the Sounds Properties.

I cannot understand why it can play some sounds but not others., when we did not change any of the settings.

Thanks in advance for any more help...

Dell4700

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 10:11:09 PM »
Okay, glad to help.

The Device Manager Tab is under Hardware in your System Properties.  It will give you a quick look at any possible problem devices.  In your case, Sound, video and game controllers.  Do you see any question/exclamation marks there?  If you do, it may be your problem.

To avoid guesswork, please tell us what PC model and any other related hardware you have attached.  Also, tell us what you have running (software) when you encounter these problems.

Have you made any hardware or software changes recently?

Do you regularly scan for virus/malware?

Dell