Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New hard drive  (Read 3485 times)

iterativeend

New hard drive
« on: August 01, 2004, 08:39:08 PM »
I have a 600 Mhz comp which has a 2.5 GB harddrive. and runs on windows 2000 pro..it also had a 3.5 GB harddrive which goes into the slot below the CD drive.I never used it and never wondered y it never worked(got the comp a week back from a friend)...NOw i got a new 120 GB harddrive with the harddrive case. I connected it with the same bus tht goes to the cd drive.
As it is a new drive i tried to format it in the disk management but my disk wasnt listed and only my c drive was listed but if i start my comp without the disk in,the cd drive is also listed.

Anyone know how to install the drive properly??and will my cd drive work after the disk is installed or only either one of them will work...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 08:45:28 PM by iterativeend »

Raptor

Re: New hard drive
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 03:38:07 AM »
The drive may not be supported by your mainboard.

You have not told us the name of your mainboard, but judging from the other components I'd say it's.. Ancient.

Computer_Commando

Re: New hard drive
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:51:09 PM »
...but judging from the other components I'd say it's.. Ancient.

If it's truly 600MHz, it's probably a Pentium III.  I'd hardly call that Ancient.

I suspect jumpers must be set on the drives in order for the BIOS to recognize them all.  The new 120GB drive should have instructions for drive jumper settings.