Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i7-4790k overclocking with MSI z97s SLI Krait edition  (Read 4772 times)

snowfun87

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    i7-4790k overclocking with MSI z97s SLI Krait edition
    « on: July 22, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
    Hello all, I have a 4790k with a MSI z97s SLI Krait edition, annnd I bought a Kraken x62 cooler so I wanted to try and overclock. I have my CPU @ 4.5Ghz with a voltage of 1.200. I did not change anything else,and the core voltage/ring thing is left on default. so my question is, just to be sure, it's not hogging all the power all the time is it? I'm new to OC  :D

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: i7-4790k overclocking with MSI z97s SLI Krait edition
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
    CPU's only really consume most power when they are processing data and full tilt 100% per core. When idle they go into a lesser power consumption state even if overclocked. Intel CPUs have Speed Stepping which when the CPU is idle unless Stepping is disabled somewheres it will generally come to rest at around 1/4 or 1/5 clock, so if your CPU was idle and utilizing Speed Stepping, it will be around 1/4 or 1/5 the clock of full clock of 4.5Ghz and will be somewhere around 1.12Ghz or 900Mhz. AMD also has this stepping feature but they call it Cool n Quiet the fan speed can be reduced lessening noise and the CPU clock drops down by quarter clock intervals such as my 2.8Ghz idles at around 700Mhz saving electricity and not creating unnecessary heat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

There really is not much benefit at all to having this feature disabled to have it running full clock all the time. The CPU is able to split second change from say 900Mhz to 4.5Ghz without missing a beat, and if you ran a test to see if there is any performance loss in doing this, it would be a very very small difference that is unnoticeable to the end user. The only benefit I can think of to forcing a CPU to stay full clock would be if the program itself didnt stress and load down the CPU enough to have to ramp up to full or max clock, and so it could slow that single threaded program possibly by calculations that happen at slower clock. 99.9% of the people out there would never run into this as well as if performing scientific calculations, usually the CPU is loaded down pretty well for all cores to make full use of the multiple core CPU's potential vs say only using 1/4th of an AMD Quadcore etc.

There are tools out there to monitor the systems GPU and CPU speeds. You can watch the clocks go to maximum speed and go back to an idle at 1/4 or 1/5 clocks or if there is something going on in background to where its not completely idle 3/4, 1/2, or 1/3 clock etc.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
    One thing worth noting is that overclocking does increase the base power usage of a processor. Increasing the clock and/or the voltage will increase power consumption overall.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 12:34:25 PM »
    Good point BC... An overclocked CPU will use more power than a normal clocked CPU, even if speed stepping is under clocking and an overclocked under clock.  ;) It will also produce more heat as a byproduct of the additional power consumption. As well as other components on the motherboard also can consume more power and produce more heat such as VRM's, RAM, Bridges, as well as the Power Supply itself.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »
    For a 5 to 12% increase in output it's a waste of time...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »
    For a 5 to 12% increase in output it's a waste of time...

Well ... my thoughts on this statement is that its already got plenty of processing power with that Core i7, so No sense pushing the CPU harder when there really is no need to.

I myself use overclocks only towards end-life CPU's, CPU's that are older and healthy, but lag is starting to become noticeable and if I cook the CPU no big loss because its fully depreciated and I got my moneys worth out of it. I was running with a 10% overclock on a Athlon 64 x2 4450B at 2.53Ghz instead of 2.3Ghz and this brought some more life into this CPU and helped with speeding up video processing conversions of large game captures from FRAPS which could be like 30GB in size into smaller 1GB AVI files with VirtualDUB 64-bit to share with friends on youtube for example and it would get the video processing done almost 10% faster. I have since upgraded this older gaming system to a Quadcore Athlon II x4 620 and I could overclock that but its plenty for what it does. I have 2 better systems so there is no sense in pushing the quadcore with a 10% overclock. The AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8-core and AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz 8-core I will use when I need something more powerful to game with etc.