Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Son stuck tweezers in the top of my laptop charger's plug and now it wont work  (Read 3143 times)

Soforiasss

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Earlier today my 4 year old decided to take some tweezers and touch them to the adapter plug of my laptop and touched the the little prong inside of it and got a really bad shock, a while after those events I attempted to charge my laptop back up as it was almost dead  and it just wont charge and I am pretty sure it is from my son sticking tweezers in the adapter part that plugs into the laptop. I don't know if I need to get a new charger or if there is any quick fix i can do? It does not look damaged either. If someone can helping as soon as possible that would be amazing! Thanks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Can you provide the make and model # of the laptop?
    Or, better yet, a hot of the damaged area. It might be some metal was burnt off and the plug does not make contact.
    Otherwise, a fusible devise inside the charger has blown. Whiteout knowing the model number, it is hard to guess.

Salmon Trout

Surprised he got a shock, as the voltage is really low. Could be cheapest to get a new charger.

DaveLembke

Sage
    Time for a new power supply. They are sealed and not intended for servicing.

Also surprised at the shock as for voltages are usually around 19VDC which doesnt shock most. I think the most shocking part about it might have been the spark that would make one jump at the surprise of it not expecting it etc.

My daughter when she was about 3 years old put tweezers into a 120VAC outlet in our bathroom and she was very fortunate that the GFI outlet popped. While the GFI outlet popped it did happen to vaporize part of one end of the tweezers before popping leaving sharp edge of tweezer a rounded ball of metal. This pitted the GFI outlet contact and I had to replace it because plugs were going in hard past a pitted bur contact inside. I asked her what she was thinking and she didnt know why she did it.

When I was about 5 or 6 I found what I thought were some interesting light bulbs in the basement. I screwed one into the livingroom lamp and turned the switch on and the lamp died. It was one of the older screw in type fuses for a fuse panel which share the same socket as a light bulb. The Lamp was the weak link between the 14 GA wiring in the home and the 15 AMP fuse in the fuse box and the 15 AMP fuse I screwed into the lamp. It did blow the 15 Amp fuse in the fuse box for the living room but not before turning lamp cord into a heating element inside making a very lovely melted plastic smell. I was asked why I did this, I said I thought they were light bulbs they have the same screw in socket and glass top and you look in and see the filament which its a fuse not a light bulb but I didnt know better at age 5 or 6. I had a fascination with electricity and light bulbs as a young child and shocked myself many times, and luckily didnt burn my parents house down or kill myself in the process.  ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    DaveLembke,
    Therefore, because of you, they no longer make those kind of fuses.  ::)
    My first famous electrical experiment was a bobby pin and a wall socket. Shocking results. Still, they did not stop making bobby pins because of me.

Salmon Trout

My daughter when she was about 3 years old put tweezers into a 120VAC outlet in our bathroom ... I asked her what she was thinking and she didnt know why she did it.
    She wouldn't. Not at that age, Just like I didn't when I was 3 and I put my finger in a 220 volt table lampholder that was temporarily without a bulb. I even managed to operate the switch first. It felt like there was a grinding wheel in there. My dad had conniptions. He was an engineer with the London power company. I  guess I'm lucky to be alive. I remember reading about those screw-in fuses. I believe the fact that they could be screwed in to a lampholder was a factor in their demise.

Salmon Trout

My first famous electrical experiment was a bobby pin and a wall socket.
    5 amp fuse wire and a car battery. Red hot, white hot, melt, in that order.