Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop or Laptop with External Monitor  (Read 2253 times)

anbry

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Desktop or Laptop with External Monitor
    « on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »
    Hey everyone,

After using a laptop exclusively for over the past decade I'm interested in having the desktop experience of having a large screen and mouse. I guess I'm a bit picky when it comes to components (like I'd spend more to have a quieter power supply, cpu fan and case) and when looking at prices I'm probably looking at about
    ~$300 cpu
    ~$100+ motherboard
    ~$50-60 quiet cpu fan
    ~$100 case
    ~$80 power supply
    ~$120+ RAM
    ~$150 SSD
    So approximately $900, plus the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I thought for that price I could just buy a pretty decent laptop and plug in a monitor, keyboard and mouse for a similar experience. I'm also thinking plugging into a laptop might be quieter overall too (I haven't used a desktop in a quiet room for awhile so I'm not sure what they're capable of). The main advantage to doing this would be that I can take the laptop with me wherever I want of course. I have a chromebook atm that's fine for remote use although I'm still getting used to it not being able to do some things windows can. One advantage I see for a desktop is that if one of the parts like the on board video card (or any video card) dies, I can just replace the one part instead of junking a whole laptop (they've lasted me 2-3 years in the past). Also I bet the desktop would be fairly faster than a comparable $900 laptop. I don't game though so I don't need it for that. I do use Autocad occasionally (which has worked okay on a i5 laptop) and want to use a 4 K monitor for excel and youtube.

I'm curious if you have opinions regarding using a laptop to mostly use an external monitor and mouse with versus building a proper desktop. Thanks!

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Desktop or Laptop with External Monitor
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:29:18 AM »
    For the past 7 years, my employers have only provided me with a laptop for a work computer.  Whether in the office or working from home, I always use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard.  With those items attached to my laptop (I use a dock to make things easier), it functions nearly indistinguishably from a desktop computer.  Since it's a work computer, I don't use it for gaming but I run compilers, VMs, Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint and all types of other software on it.  The main advantage to having just the laptop is that I can move from place to place and bring my setup with me.  In my current job, I often travel to remote client sites and work on-site but other times, I work from my home.  Portability is the main reason for this setup and it works fine. 

However, if I didn't require portability, I would choose a desktop over a laptop every time.  The cost to performance ratio for a desktop is much better than a laptop.  A desktop is easier to maintain, repair and upgrade and has better storage options.  Although I own several personal laptops, I always prefer using my desktop at home.   

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »
    However, if I didn't require portability, I would choose a desktop over a laptop every time.  The cost to performance ratio for a desktop is much better than a laptop.  A desktop is easier to maintain, repair and upgrade and has better storage options.  Although I own several personal laptops, I always prefer using my desktop at home.   

+ 1
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

anbry

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:09:40 AM »
      Good points strollin. That's pretty much what I thought. I do bring a computer to work, but it doesn't require anything my chromebook doesn't seem to be able to do so far. The great thing about this little acer chromebook with a mobile processor is it can internet browse great, while having about 10 hours of battery life, is only 3.5 pounds and only cost $200 on sale. It feels like a cheap ultrabook. I do kind of miss Windows though. This computer feels a bit restrictive at times maybe how an iphone may feel compared to the more options androids have.