Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No display when Booting PC  (Read 3489 times)

lewisink

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    No display when Booting PC
    « on: August 24, 2017, 10:49:39 AM »
    Hi guys I've got an issue here.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k
    GPU: Radeon Tri-X R9 290X
    MB: AsRock X99 Extreme4
    RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4
    HDD/SDD: Samsung SSD 840 250GB / WD 1TD HDD

So it's a custom build PC which I've been running for little under three years unfortunately it won't boot anymore. I leave it on sleep mode over night normally a wiggle of the mouse and I'm good to go in the mornings but there was no display today so I restarted the system manually by clicking the power button. It then loaded with a loud fan (not normal and still no display) so I instantly turned it off again and since have not been able to load with any display. I've tried resetting the BIOS and the CMOS. I've tried re-fitting the GPU, switching out the GPU for another card, re-fitting the RAM, fitting both RAM sticks separately and trying to boot without the other. All to no avail still no sign of life on the monitor. Every one of the fans spin when powered. The motherboard has a red LED lit by the "BIOS_A" which I'm unsure has always been there but suspect it is to show which BIOS is active. (I've also tried booting in BIOS_B also and the red light switched)

I suspect that both RAM sticks have died at the same time which seems unlikely or that the MB is shot, although the fact it lights the LED and powers the separate parts is signs of some life right?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated   
     ??? ??? ??? ???

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: No display when Booting PC
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
    Guessing you have tested this system with another monitor to make sure the video signal is in fact missing?

Were you overclocking at all?

Do you have a spare power supply to swap out the power supply and see if that fixes the issue as for a weak power supply will cause fans to spin but no boot?

lewisink

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »
      Yea the set up is triple monitor anyways so it surely wouldn't be an issue with all three of the displays, but I have been testing on a separate monitor altogether since having the initial problems. I wasn't overclocking no and I don't have a spare power supply the one I'm using is a 650W XTR.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
      Direction I would go would be borrow a power supply from someone to test with or buy a replacement and see if your system will boot. Or if you can safely test your voltages or have a power supply tester that displays voltages you can avoid buying a power supply. But your failure sounds like a bad power supply with a low power rail or your main board. Power supply is the cheaper route and most likely cause.

Before buying a new power supply try minimal boot and if you have a different video card try that to see if symptoms change. I have had a system before act just like this and when putting in an old video card i had that drew less power the system booted and ran. I then knew that it was either my video card or the power supply. I found out that the 12V was very low and so my video card was causing motherboard to hang at boot because the video card wasnt fully powered. The GeForce 8800GT that I put into the system to test, ran off the PCI-E 16x power and the system behaved. So I knew everything else was healthy and a multimeter test of my 12V showed that it was running at around 10 volts whereas a healthy power supply would be greater than 11.5 volts. Swapped my power supply and was able to stick my better GTX card back in which required the 12V power molex connections and was back in business.

Do you still have a warranty on any parts? The power supply might be under warranty for replacement.

lewisink

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 05:43:17 PM »
        Ok cheers I'll borrow a power supply from a friend tomorrow and give it a try, unfortunately don't have a power supply tester. Is it common for power supplies to stop working/fail after working for a while?

The GPU I tried instead of my regular one was a much smaller card that used motherboard power only (which I'm guessing draws less power but I'm a slight noivce with this stuff) I believe I still have warranty on my CPU but from what your saying I'm guessing that's not the issue. Not sure about other parts I'd have to dig up old boxes to find out. Thanks for the replies I'll let you know how the PS test goes, if you have any other suggestions in the mean time all are welcome!

Managed to get a known good stick of RAM to test and that didn't work also (just an update) it's not the RAM.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
        Managed to get a known good stick of RAM to test and that didn't work also (just an update) it's not the RAM.

You don't know this til the PSU has been eliminated as the culprit...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "